Play Station 2 or X-Box

I would like to know which would be the better purchase with the primary users being 10 year old boy, 12 year old girl and 5 year old girl.

The X-Box is running ~$174.99 and the PS2 is running ~$149.99. If I use the number of games available the PS2 wins by a factor of 5. But I hear that the X-box has the better graphics.

Wait for PS3 ... end of 1st quarter (http://www.ps3land.com/ ) ... so the projection went. I think that PS3 is backward compatible with PS2 games which should be very cheap by the time PS3 is out. It is HiDef capable (HDMI).

or

Wait until February and get XBox 360. That's when the Xmas rush is through and they restock those XBox 360. XBox 360 is HiDef capable! I saw the demo and if I were their ages again, I would have fallen in love with it. Not for long though, I can't play any of my sons' games at all! No eye-hand coordination when it comes to these types of games!

Why? We're in the same dilemma. Our second son has been very good and he (and his brothers) asks Santa for a PS2. (btw he knows about "Santa"). So I did a little research. :) I just can't see myself buying and outdated technology, but then again it's about 1/2 the price of the new one.

Otherwise, if your son can't wait, then PS2 is the better choice. There are far more choices in terms of games.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I was in a electronics store and the display had a Personal Play Station PSP which has two screens. Now we all know that parents buy these for their kids and the target age of the kids will correspond to a parental age range. So I had to laugh when the game in all the PSPs, even at differeent stores was a Pinball replica game. It was easy for a person (my age) who played real pinball to use and understand. I am sure that the idea id "gee I am pretty good at this an I remeber playing this as a kid". Then POOF you are down $120.

For kids the age of yours, I'd steer away from the Xbox, not for any technical reasons, but because you've got more age appropriate games available with the other systems. Xbox is very cool, and Xbox 360 promises to be even better if they can actually manufacture some that don't crash a lot (reportedly a BIG problem right now). But, PS2, and for that matter, GameCube, have more games for younger kids. From that perspective, I'd probably go PS2. The price is right, and of course, you'll just spend the money you save on additional games, anyway :)

Nephew has both and based on the amount of time he spends playing them, PS2 wins hands down. Unless your kids insist on cutting edge PS3 when it comes out, I'd get the PS2 now. By the time they are really chomping for a PS3 their prices will be down, the kinks will be worked out (like with PS2 the network card is now included instead of having to be a seperate purchase) and more games will be available for less money (IE - the PS2 classics collection).

Good luck and good gaming

Michelle

"

I was in a electronics store and the display had a Personal Play Station PSP which has two screens. Now we all know that parents buy these for their kids and the target age of the kids will correspond to a parental age range. So I had to laugh when the game in all the PSPs, even at differeent stores was a Pinball replica game. It was easy for a person (my age) who played real pinball to use and understand. I am sure that the idea id "gee I am pretty good at this an I remeber playing this as a kid". Then POOF you are down $120.

"

Hmm, that sounds like the Nintendo DS to me. (And PSP stands for Playstation Portable, I believe. Not relevent, just noting.)

Anyway...

I would agree with the PS2 and a game like Kingdom Hearts.

PS2 definately has more variety and as Gamecube isn't on the list, is most age appropriate.

Kingdom Hearts, might I add, although a few years old, is one of the better games I've ever played and involves a heartlifting type story with Disney type characters. It sounds a little childish, I know, but even as a teenage male, I have to admit it's a very good game.

ALthough, I would advise against any other disney based games(this one is made by Square-Enix, creator of some very famous RPG's.)

Anyway, that's my opinion.

I would echo the earlier comments. Unless the kids are really into a game that is XBOX specific, PS2 is the better overall system. Sony has a good track record of doing what is best for their customers (read backward compatibility) and the variety of titles helps to keep prices down and helps you find titles that are best for your kids AND your peace of mind.

If you can wait, PS3 promises to be even better.

We have had a PS2 for about 6 months and I plan on getting the PS3 after the initial rush dies down (next Fall?). I have run into a few times when having more than one would be helpful.