Christmas vs Holiday party

So, I ask my son to create and email to the troop a flyer for our annual party. I called it a "holiday" party - maybe I've been desensitized or grown accustomed to the politically-correctness that has become so all-pervasive. Our troop, as far as I can tell, happens to be all Christian, but we have invited Webelos that I don't know yet.

I get a response from a parent basically saying I've totally offended him. I told him in an email:

"We have invited guests to this event and I don't want any to feel excluded if they don't happen to be Christian. I'm the one that termed it a 'Holiday Party,' not (my son).

"I know that the 'politically correct' have done their very best to pull Christ out of Christmas, but in this decision I guess I'm guilty too. If you have been offended then I apologize and still hope that you will come and celebrate with us."

After reading my response his reply was that he was indeed very offended and that if it weren't for his "calming force" wife he would have pulled two kids from the troop.

I've spent half the day shopping and cooking for this event and of course feel like I've been shot in the butt.

Can I get some thoughts on this? I'm waiting for him to call me back and discuss, but I need to learn more about how you guys would face this situation and what I might have done better in the first place.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year the best holiday defense is a good holier-than-thou offense.

Simply explain that the word "holiday" is from the Old English "hAligdg," from hAlig holy + dg day, and that Jesus is deeply offended that he does not consider His birthday to be a holy day.

Merry Christmas!

Well "politically correct = wimping out" doesn't really help much, does it? I'm looking for advice, not barbs, ok? I already feel like crap about this and I need to know if made the wrong decision in the first place by using the "holiday" word. I'll take it from your comment that I did.

Please don't let this spoil your festive spirit. Some people look for reasons to be offended, and perhaps that family is an example. A "holiday" party is for everyone. I could see them feeling excluded if you had announced a Kwanzaa party, or a Channukah party or a Solstice party, but there is no call for anyone to get bent out of shape because you were inclusive.

I hope the party is joyous, whatever people want to call it

Merry Christmas!

I've heard so much arguing on this issue it's disgusting.

There is nothing wrong with being politically correct, and there is nothing wrong with saying a less general term(of course, actual prejudice is wrong, but those are words most people wouldn't use normally anyway.)

If the parent is offended, I say tell him that you aren't here to steal Christmas, offend him, or do anything else. If he goes so far as to pull his kids from the troop, well, there's little you can do, although I might question his emotional balances and try to talk with him about how he was offended.

There are those who believe that being PC is, as stated above, wimpish. While I find it goes too far, I think being offended by PC is just absurd.

I think it's a sad thing that either phrase you use, "Happy Holidays", or "Merry Christmas", someone can choose to be offended. Both choices are a way to express good wishes for the day and the season. I used to be able to say either one with nary a thought for the implications. Now, whichever one I pick, I feel like I'm choosing sides in a culture war.

I think you did fine. Let it roll off your back. There are more important things in life.

Oak Tree

I wouldnt let the turkeys of the world get you down, whether in reality or in the Cyber world. You can try to explain you didnt see anything wrong with saying it was a holiday party because you thought a few jewish people could be comming. In the end, it doesnt matter because if one wants to be offedned then one will. You shopped, cooked and poured your heart and soul into this. Enjoy it and let the turkeys squawk

BTW, you could always invite the offended dad to host next years Christmas party and have him do it the way he wants, I wonder what his response will be?

The first thing is that at our Holiday/Christmas Party that we held on the 16th we called it a Christmas Party.

However, because Boy Scout is non-demoniational, the phrase Holiday Party or Winter Celebration "should" be used.

In way, a name is a name. No one should be so offended by a name that they are willing to pull their son out of the program. To me that's just over reacting.