Christmas vs Holiday party

You can have a "Christmas Party" or a "Holiday Party" or a "Party, Party" as suggested by Semper Par.

Just don't use Red Stars as decorations or you may be confused with being some type of Commi!

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051220/od_nm/hungary_christmas_dc;_ylt=An4FAvO9qI1MMxUiC4zU2C0SH9EA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

SA

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick wrap-up on the party. It happened last night, it was wonderful. We had a great turnout, enjoyed some fabulous dutch-oven desserts, played games, listened to Christmas carols as performed by our troop band and welcomed some Webelos who will be joining next month. The scouts put together a very nice program. My "complaining" parent was a no-show, although I would certainly have been the first to welcome him with outstretched arm.

The scouts made frequent sarcastic references to the term "holiday party," but I think that this was fostered not by my own situation but moreso by the huge restrictions that have been placed on our public schools about religious displays (we can no longer have Christmas carols played from our school bus radios - that kind of stuff). At the close of the party we distributed gifts to the boys from the committee and I wished all a Merry Christmas, which is what I do at this time of year.

I also advised my COR, the church pastor, about the parent as you reminded me above. His response was simply "It should be fun no matter what you call it."

As always, all of your comments have been very helpful to me and I'll certainly stay tuned.

Boy Oh Boy.

The best bet would be to postpone the gathering until Ground Hog Day.

But then again maybe not.

I see that the Pennsylvania Lottery is using Punxsutawney Phil to sell scratch off tickets. So he might offend anyone with an itch.

February 29th Might work if you don't invite any single females.

Eamonn.

Good grief! If a parent gets that upset over the term "Holiday Party", they need some serious therapy. They're being rather childish over this & to want to pull their sons out of the troop is so absurd! I wouldn't worry over it & if they want to leave over something so trivial then let them! My son's troop had a Holiday Party yesterday, the term does not offend me & the boys had a good time.

OGE's quote of Rick Nelson's song "Garden Party" is right on the mark. Life is too short to have to deal with nonsense like this.

Judy