Christmas vs Holiday party

Although I prefer Merry Christmas, IMHO it is completely acceptable to address your party as a Holiday party if you are unaware of the attendees religious values. No reason you can not decorate for all holidays (Kwanzaa, Hanukah, etc.) as part of the party theme. Offended parents are too sensitized to this issue and need to be more open to the understanding of other practices.

Decorate each wall with a different holiday theme and colors with a scout researched paragrpah explaining the holiday.

And I agree with some of the other replies...you have spent TOO much time dwelling on the reply of one adult and this is your party...have fun! If he is that offended, he gets the party next year..

Merry Christmas!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so grateful that we live in a country that has solved all its problems that it can focus on such a divisive issue as Holiday vs. Christmas labels. When I turn on FoxNews, I now know that the war in Iraq must be going swimmingly and the national debt must be paid off because its wall to wall coverage on how Target must be boycotted because they don't use the C-word in their ads.

I was in the post office last week, sending my H-word cards. I call them H-word cards because they have a winter scene on them and no mention of the virgin birth. I needed a book of stamps. The clerk asked me standard or seasonal? I said I didn't care, 1st mistake. She gave me a book of Kwanza stamps, 2nd mistake. I exploded. Had I not believed she was heavily armed and trained in automatic weapons, I would have dragged her over the counter and pummelled the C-word spirit into her. I shouted to the mass of people in line, "HOW CAN I SEND MY H-word cards to my fundementalist family members with KWANZA stamps?" That got the crowd worked up. They started chanting with me. C-word, C-word, C-word. The clerk just look steel eyed at me, calling my bluff. The chanting got louder and louder. I stood firm at the counter, nose to nose with the clerk. A real mexican standoff. Finally, she realized my dominant spirit, retracted the book from the counter and replaced them with a very nice Madonna stamp book.

Just one small victory in the WOC.

Well Gern, since you stated you did not care which stamps you received, I would have gone with the Disney ones. Nothing says celebration better than the Mad Hatter!

Bruce, why are you letting this one small-minded individual give you an ulcer?? Since you are a Troop, I will assume that the boys are the ones who planned the event (even though YOU named it). Have the parent talk to his son about the things the boys have planned.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Thank you to Mr. Shakespeare. It is a TROOP party, calling it a Holiday Party works fine.

Have FUN!

Our troop had its Holiday party on the 16th. Even though our CO is a church it was a holiday party. Our Troop has Scouts of different faiths both Christian and nonChristian. Therefore it is called a holiday party as to include all faiths.

Am sorry that this parent took offense at the title of a party. You did what you thought was best. I agree with the other posters let it go and enjoy the party.

I am a people pleaser by nature and offending people can give me sleepless nights. However, the older I get, the more I realize that you can't please everyone and some people simply need to grow a thicker skin and quit wearing their feelings on their sleeve. To me, the person who blows up over something so small and makes a mountain out of a mole hill is pretty petty. While I wouldn't want to lose scouts, perhaps you are better off to lose a parent who has enough time on his hands to sweat the small stuff and gritch about it. If it isn't this, he'll find something else to complain about down the road.

On the up side, on December 26th, Fox News, O'Reilly, Hannity and John Gibson are going to have the wind taken out of their sails until around Thanksgiving 2006. I predict Gibson's book will move to the bargain rack pretty quick.

One other note. I recall being a kid some 40 odd years ago and seeing and hearing Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings as much as Merry Christmas. Regardless of what the ratings craving talking heads say, the use of the "PC" terms is nothing new. They are decades old and predate my experience.

A Festivus for the rest of us!

Bruce,

I agree with everyone that said you should just let it go. Enjoy the season and don't let one putz take the fun out of it for you.

Just say, "it wasn't our intent to offend anyone, just to use a term that would be more inclusive". If a dad is so, well, unbalanced that he would pull his sons out because of that, you could be better off without him, although the boys could certainly use a more open view of things.

As far as taking the "Christ" our of Christmas, didn't we already cover this? If anything, the early Christians took the "Saturn" out of Saturnia, which is what this time of year was celebrating before the Christians "borrowed" it. :) So, let's review a couple of quick bits of history. Christ was most likely born around 3 BC, in the spring, if I remember my history of the times. The celebration of Christmas began as the celebration of Saturnia, venerating Saturn, the Roman god of the harvest. So, why are some people getting all caught up about something that was fairly arbitrary to begin with? Maybe the Christians should give Saturn his festival back and pick one of their own, huh? :) (the previous paragraph spoken "tongue deeply in cheek....)

"Happy Holidays" isn't some new PC phrase; It's been used for decades; remember the old Crosby movies? Let's all sing together...."Happy Holidays........."

I am getting tired of the BS about Saturnia.

The root celebration as it were is common to many cultures all over the world. It is about the Winter Solstice and the 'return' of the sun. Rome was just another cultural center that associated the earlier celebration to one to conform to its ethos.

Notheless, the holiday celebrations are reflective of the times. While the date of Christmas was selected to fit the holiday schedules of the culture, the events being celebrated are deeply held beliefs of the vast majority of Americans. When applied to Scouting, the majority is even larger.

Holiday would be OK if you are not really celebrating Christmas. Given a troop that is all Christian the 'holiday' being celebrated is most certainly Christmas. Therefore, it would be offensive to many Christians to have their holiday muddled by PC. Conversely, if you have a troop that is all Jewish, a Chanakah (sp) Party would be appropriate and holiday is again potentially offensive. In a truly mixed troop, holiday is appropriate and the response should simply be "we have Scouts that are not Christian and the term holiday party more appropriately includes all of them." Warning: if you are having a 'holiday' party, it should reflect all of the holidays or none of them.

Part of my problem with the retail world is that they use the term 'holiday' but still use the colors and images associated most closely with the Christian Holiday. Why not have some more specific ads or sales that address each holiday? That would be respectful of all. I guess if you are truly offended by the concept of someone else's holiday, perhaps you should skip their sales and things.

Bruce,

I am so sorry that anyone has given you any grief about doing what is right. And you are definitely not indulging in political correctness, or wimping out either. Unless you are 100% sure that everyone that's invited celebrates Christmas, calling it a "Holiday Party" is not political correctness - it's COMMON COURTESY.

I object wholeheartedly to taking the Christ out

of Christmas, or diminishing anyone's holidays. But I think we all have to appreciate that Christmas is not the only holiday falling in this season.

In our pack, we have a few non-Christian scouts (about 5%). But I would rather have a dozen families ticked off by a "Holiday Party", than have one family feel excluded by a "Christmas Party". There is already a misconception, both in and out of scouting, that BSA is a Christian organization - which is a misconception we should try to dispel.

But enough of that. You did the right thing - don't regret it, or let anybody get under your skin about it. Scout on, Brother!... and have a Merry Christmas.

Novice Cubmaster

So, Torveaux, comments about Saturnia are "BS" why? Yes, there's an underlying celebration that predates it. So?

It's pretty well known historically that many of the stories in the Bible are based on traditions that pre-date Christianity. The creation story is just one. Is talking about the Bible "BS" as well, then?

Anyway, back on topic....

Bruce, as I said earlier, using "holiday" is just fine. Enjoy it, as should we all :).

If you are going to have a Christmas Party, then a celebration of Jesus Christ should be the focus.

If you are going to have a Holiday Party, then a celebration of the different 'holidays' should be the focus. Santa, reindeers, gifts, yule logs, lights, menorahs, kinaras, kikombe cha umojas are all welcome...anything goes.

If you are going to just have a party for fun, then call it a Party.

So, political correctiveness?? Many have taken the fun and joy out of the holiday's of many because of political correctiveness. This all comes back to censorship. If you don't want to hear or see things. Don't listen or don't watch. If it help's, Merry Christmas!!

If Christ was never born, we wouldn't be having this discussion! We'd be sacrificing a lamb to atone for our sins instead.

The root of the celebration has nothing to do with winter solstice. The root of the celebration is Christs' birth!

There is nothing wrong with "Happy Holidays". There is nothing wrong "Merry Christmas". What drives me nuts is when someone tries to justify using "Happy Holidays" because they don't want to "offend" someone. Who cares! If you say "Merry Christmas" to someone & they are offended too bad! OGE hit it on the head with his quote from Ricky Nelson.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all