Today's Active Topics

Me, um, many.

I know awhile back Scouter-Terry said that he had to take one of the servers out of service. Maybe it hasn't made it back in yet.

I can get in if I take the "long way", but a link to the past 24 hours topics doesn't seem to work. Fails on a timeout, especially if I use a bookmark I have that goes right to that page. It's been doing that for awhile.

Well, you know, Terry provides this to us at no cost to us, so we have to bear with it and hope that he has the time to take a look at it.

Hmmm, use the uniform method, just not with the official uniform....

So which group lives the scout law in it's everyday life. The unit that uses the uniform method, using a non-official uniform,(which as Kudu points out, seems to be within the rules of the BSA) or the unit which requires wearing of the official uniform at meetings and activities to maintain membership and achieve advancement within that unit, which is clearly against BSA policy?

So what happens if everyone in a particular unit decided to wear T-shirts and BDUs while camping?

We may need a rule that says BSA scouts and scouters shall not wear clothing that is not officially sanctioned by the BSA that would be similar in nature so as to give the appearance that the group is wearing a uniform. When not wearing the official BSA uniform, no more than two persons may wear pants of the same color or of similar design and appearance. No more than two persons may wear the same color shirt or a shirt of similar design and appearance. Units that choose not to wear the official BSA uniform must make every effort to appear as if they are not wearing a uniform. Units that disregard this rule shall be invited to form their own organization that may not appear to be associated with or to be or be considered similar to the BSA. Or they must wait until all members turn 14 years of age and form a Venture crew.

Such a rule would save us from Kudu's uniform conspiracy.

SA

While I appreciate Terry's efforts as much as anyone, negotiating this site is becoming too hard. I used the "Today's Active Topics" link almost exclusively to sneak a peek during the day. If I can't do that, I won't be around much. Maybe some will say that's a good thing.

I think this forum is great and I get many fantastic ideas that help my units program. However, I think the software is a bit long in the tooth and over capacity. I participate on other forums that experienced these type of problems. Most have migrated the forum software to Invision Power Board. Cleared things right up and gave a lot of functionality missing on this board.

Could the problem be related to the semi-transparent login screen that reads "Please login to Scouter.Com to enjoy several new customized features and locally targeted content"?

I didn't notice that until about the same time as the server errors.

Kudu

He does have a real business to run as well as taking care of Scouter.com for us. Maybe he just needs some help. I agree that updating to newer software might help. Not having the "active topics" query working is really a drag. Tell you what; rather than sitting here scratching my head, I'll drop him a line separately and see what's going on (we live in the same general area). I'll report back.

• Administrators

Folks, I appreciate your patience. We took one of the three servers that power this site out of commission a few weeks ago (hardware failure), and I just haven't had a chance to replace it. Since it's a database server, it's pretty important to the overall scheme of things. :-)

Stand by, I'll try to make it a priority this week to get to the new servers.

TERRY HOWERTON

br>