Boy Scout Sex Abuse Allegations Surface

Reported by: 9News

Web produced by: Mark Sickmiller

Photographed by: 9News

Last updated: 10/4/2005 5:51:34 PM

Disturbing allegations of sexual abuse have surfaced inside a local Boy Scout camp.

A lawsuit filed against the Boy Scouts of America and the Archdiocese of Cincinnati claims they should have prevented two teens from sexually assaulting an 11-year-old boy.

It claims the teens molested the boy during scouting trips to Camp Friederlander in Clermont County and a camp in Ripley sponsored by St. Veronica.

The boy was sent to the Reverend David Kelley for counseling, who is himself accused of sexually abusing children.

One of the teens faced criminal charges and has been banned from scouting. The other was not charged.

Four comments:

I find it repulsive and repugnant that, when our Constitution gives us the benefit of trials by jury for both criminal and common pleas ... that folks will try the case in public. This case has a proper place and time, involving a trial court in Ohio. I for one am willing to let the case work what it needs to do there.

Second, as a Scouter, I find that keeping youth at camp too busy for mischief a key element of "youth on youth" youth protection. I also find that two-deep leadership remaining in the campsite (while other leaders are out discreetly checking on how youth are doing in their various programs) needs to know who is in camp and what they are doing.

Third, I do think we need better tools and training. The current YP package does focus on adult/youth more than it does youth/youth. The media provided for youth is, bluntly, hokey. It's tough to get 11-14 year olds to watch the current videos without giggling. It's equally tough that there ARE 13 and 14 year old youth who are becoming sexually active.

Finally, I note in other coverage of this that one of the defendant youth has been removed from Scouting. Bluntly, he needs more help than our program can give him.

My thoughts, yours may and will differ.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

I'm afraid I agree with John-in-KC about the youth / youth part of YP needs to be beefed up. I noticed at the National Jamboree that many of the older youth were intimidating some of the younger Scouts in the shower areas. The older kids know that they have a virtual sanctuary from adult supervising due to YP rules wrt adult / youth. From my perspective, only inches away in the adult showers, I could hear but not make visual contact. I made some verbal "suggestions" quite loudly but to no avail.

This is an area where solutions are needed. Suggestions?