Unclean Leader

Why does it seem like the issue has changed? The initial post made this seem like a problem with appearances. Now it seems like something else entirely, little or nothing to do with appearances. Anyone else wondering about this?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Issue has not change, Some posters were wondering what kind of scouter she was. I do not have an issue with the type of leaders she has become. I still feel the real issue is the apperance she puts forth to the Scouts. The fact that she is a less than stellar Scouter is an issue, but who amoung us is perfect, the fact remains that the uncleanlyness and the dress is a distraction to the Scouts and parents. The information of the type of leader she is is just for information purposes, so people can get the entire story.

Thanks

Like the French, most issues/threads have more than one dimension and yes, I did leave out science but not on purpose. I suppose we should throw in the Germans as well. Now that I think about it, all of Europe. As for the (offending) leader, I doubted we would have the right answer. Distance makes one imagine answers rather than observing first and then drawing conclusions. We need enough information to increase our ability to give an opinion and even then, it probably will be one dimensional. This problem and the difficulty of describing or defining a situation causes allot of miscommunication or it causes us describe our thoughts on an imagined answer.

As for offending the French, Women or anyone else for any other reason, I sincerely apologize. I will try to do better in the future.

FB

In the past, one of my duties as a dining room manager, was to do a dress inspection. If there was a personal hygine problem, I would talk privately with the person, and offer them help. Not always are people aware they can be offensive. Does the woman need a better fitting shirt? I would think the cubmaster should address the issue in a kind way.

It seems a large amount of people object to breast feeding in public too. Breasts are not a bad thing, the kids, if they are brought up right, probobly don't pay any attention to them.

If she's not doing her job, that's another issue. With all the packs who can't even get leaders, or parents help, I wouldn't complain. ;)

Hey! I'll take her!

Maybe someone should nominate this woman to TLC's "What Not to Wear"! Let them address the problem! Haa Haa...

OK, all kidding aside. I have been in a very similar situation for 3 years with one of my scouts & his parents. They all have a cleanliness problem. This scout is just dirty, stained & smells. His father was the same. When this scout was a Tiger, the dad & siblings would all join in & the odor was so bad that nobody wanted to sit next to them. Our eyes & noses would literally burn from the smell. I even did a den meeting on personal hygiene & handed out a two week tracking chart... it never helped. Fortunately for the rest of us, the dad & siblings no longer come so it's only the scout's offending odor we have to put up with. I never knew how to approach it either. I just make sure this scout washes his hands (at least) before & pack den meetings.

It's still somewhat different for a leader. I think that all leaders have a responsibility to be a good role model & wear the uniform with respect. That means being clean, tucked & buttoned. And if she chooses to hang low then so be it. Personally, I don't think it's very professional to go bra-less but, to each his own.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a copy of BSAs "The Boy Scout Handbook" Its a 1997 edition but what I read in there i think is still true. A Scout is Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, even Kind. Get out the book guys and read it.

Why don't you just hang a sign around that ladies neck which sayd unclean and give her a little bell that she can ring when any one approaches.

She obviously has some problems so what do you do?

Throw her out? Wow the list keeps getting longer. Who's next.

• 5 years later...

I wish some of these posts came with pictures. What color woman leader shirt is she wearing? The yellow one, well, you could see ANYTHING through that thing! Since this was back in 2005 ... it could well have been one of the tan jobs, male issue. I remember when they first came out with the expanding pockets. Those little suckers stood straight at attention at an unfortunate place - and I'm talking about the shirt pockets here! But, I digress. If it was a tan shirt you would NOT be able to see the "girls" through the fabric. And depending on the fit of her bra you may or not be able to tell whether or not she was sans one.

Seriously speaking though, I wonder what ever happened to her? Was she driven out by the crazed adults who served with her? Did they manage to totally humiliate her - and her son in the process?

It would take a whole committee's worth of hands to count the male leaders I've seen who look like they need a good scrubbing and someone to go buy them clothes that were manufactured in THIS century and that actually fit them. Some even, um, stink. But their boys love them to pieces. And so do the parents of those boys.

I have vacillated between being outraged and amused reading this thread. Mostly it makes me very sad.