Native American Indian Stereotypes

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer to interview those who are registered with their respective tribe, so whatever the individual tribal requirements are. I know that for some this amount is minimal (such as the Cherokee who only require 1/16), and others it must be 1/4. I would also prefer to interview those who are active with their tribe, not just someone who happens to be 1/2 Indian but lacks the cultural perspective.

Absolutley, and I'm happy to include that perspective, just that my current list of questions doesn't really deal with that much. Here is what I was considering, if you can think of others that are particularily relevant, I'm all ears.

1. Do you prefer to be called Native American or American Indian?

2. Do you feel good or insulted when you see a non-Indian portraying an Indian, even if their intentions are honorable?

3. What is the Significance of War Bonnets and should Boy Scouts be using them? What about imitation Eagle feathers?

4. What things do most Americans do that offend you or your people the most?

5. What is the most difficult thing that American Indians face today?

6. What can boy scouts do to learn more about your Tribal Culture?

7. What regalia are appropriate for others to wear?

8. Do certain colors mean different things i.e. face painting or outfit colors?

9. What can the Boy Scouts do to mitigate the sensitivity that Native Americans have toward the use/abuse of their culture?

10. What specific things can scouts do to help native peoples?

Akaluga-I read part Cree? is that part of the Cherokee Nation? The Url refers to Akaluga wearing a full double trailer Cherokee war bonnet to relate stories- can you clarify?

As an Italian what say you about that sterotype? Ever use the word mafia? I guess I should say don't do it again. :)

You might have someone who is trained in the reseach field help you with your questions. Many are very subjective which cannot help but taint your results.

You begin be asking if Indians are sensitive to the use of their culture but by question #9 you have assumed they are, even without the results of the survey.

#6, Is it really needed for the BSA to be aware of ALL tribes tribal customs? Are all indians?

#4, For me it's..hit their children in anger especially in public. But what does that have to do with the BSA and Indian culture?

#4,6,9 You ask an awful lot of questions about what the BSA and others can do, but you are asking it of people who you do not control. Wouldn't it be better to ask the people you survey what they think they or their culture can do to help? At least they would have some control of that.

While I appreciate your intentions I think the tool you intend to use is very biased and has some fundamental methodology flaws.

Akaluga, you have an excellent idea. I hope it takes root. My own First Nation ancestry is well past 1/32 but my family is well aware of our roots...all of them. The OA ceremonies teams that I have seen want to be respectful. They also want to be authentic and good enough to compete with other native dance teams locally.

A guide is a great idea. But it has to also respect the diversity of the area. What is considered normal near the Four Corners area would get strange looks in the Great Lakes.

akaluga,

Instead of starting large - I'd start small. BW, is right - your questions give away many pre-conceived ideas. You're already apologizing -- which is fairly arrogant in and of itself, since it says you already understand what Native Americans have to say to you.

Perhaps, if you begin with the history, customs and present leadership of your most natively local tribe. Become knowledgeable and respected by them and work your way out from there.

The idea of a guide is wonderful - more for it's process than it's content. Much of what is true for your local history will not be true for others. Your guide should be filled with ideas for others Scouters to discover their own local traditions and respect -- not content on how to wear leggings.

Instead of starting with what you think are obvious questions, I'd suggest starting with an open mind that invites knowlede from present tribal elders - I'm sure one conversation with them (led by them) will lead you to many useful questions.

For example, your term "war bonnet" is, I believe, a Euro-American phrase. I believe, in many tribes the ceremonial headress was used less in time of war than in time of peaceful celebration and gathering.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!

Don't forget to get info from others who have already walked your path. The Koshares may be the most famous, but I wouldn't begin to assess how factual or respected they are.

jd