SM minute - Shuttle Tragedy

Here is an item that I have been thinking about and may be useful to you in a Scoutmasters Minute, Scout Anniversary Banquet, FOS presentation, or similar event this month.

Scoutmasters Minute

Columbia Shuttle Tragedy

Last night NBC News anchor, Tom Brokaw, was on the David Letterman Show and was speaking about the Columbia Space Shuttle tragedy. Clearly reflecting on the romanticized heroes of the past, he mentioned how frequently Americans have asked, where are OUR heros the role models we are suppose to look up to? He flatly stated, we didnt seem to realize that they were right under our noses all the time the astronauts of the space shuttle program.

He was not just speaking of the perished crew of the Columbia, but rather ALL the shuttle program astronauts, who are the great adventurers of our time. In spite of the well known life-threatening risks of space flight, they press forward to new frontiers much like the heroes of Americas past. They are at the edge of the envelope in the space, science, and medical frontiers. Their actions are bettering OUR lives. Clearly, these people should be our heroes rather than the glitzy media-hounds of sports and music who have exploited their gifts for personal glory.

On the morning of the Columbia tragedy one of the television journalists was speaking about the crew and regarding the copilot, a former test pilot, she said something like, As a test pilot, could you ask for a better name than Willie McCool? They flashed his picture on the screen and he indeed looked like the All American Adventurer! Later at the NASA website, I clicked on the bio for Commander McCool.

The bio confirmed that he was a real person who enjoyed running, hiking, camping, playing guitar, and yes he was a test pilot. Under Experience was a long list of accomplishments in service to his country in the United States Navy, and NASA. Under Special Honors was another list. Included were, graduating second in his class at the US Naval Academy, two graduate awards at the US Navy Test Pilot School, two Navy Commendation Awards, two Navy Achievement Metals, and more. But the honor he listed first on his biography may be the one that set the pace for the rest of his life; the Eagle Scout Award.

Since 1910 Scouting in the United States has helped set the pace and direction for the lives of the young men it serves like Commander McCool. If you are looking for REAL heroes, consider our astronauts. To our young men; if you want to set a similar pace and direction in your life, make your first achievement, as Commander McCool did, the Eagle Scout Award!

(The last sentence should be changed to best fit your occasion. FOS: If you want to be a part of creating tomorrows heroes, your support of Scouting tonight is important. TRAINING: Your leadership and service in Scouting is key to creating tomorrows heroes. PR: If you want to set a similar direction and pace in your own life consider Scouting!)

• 1 month later...

imascouter ... thanks for the minute. I used it at our Webelos crossed-over a few weeks ago as my Cubmaster minute. As I was speaking, I noticed that the minute has captured the attention of everyone in attendance, from Webelos to parents, from scout to scoutmasters.

The last sentence seems to hit home for everyone! "To our young men; if you want to set a similar pace and direction in your life, make your first achievement, as Commander McCool did, the Eagle Scout Award!"

After the ceremony, I got alot great comments from the parents and visiting scoutmasters with regards to the minute. As for the boys, they actually remember the minute, especially my son!

On the behalf of our Webelos and their parents, thanks.

YIS

1hour

ps: I did give credit where credit is due(This message has been edited by OneHour)