Are the scouts responding???

I live near the Mississippi River, and when we have had a emergancy in this area{floods} several of the scout troops have helped out with filling sand bags. I was wondering if anyone has heard any stories of Troops or Packs that have been able to help directly in the releif effort. Loading and unloading of supplies, ect. I think that would be a excelent topic to share as a scoutmaster miniute. It would be a good example to share ideas for community service. If you have heard any stories, please share them with us.

Somebody either here or over at meritbadge.net from the Texas area was saying that the Houston Police has told the local council to stop units from attempting to volunteer at the AstroDome. I would guess that those states directly hit also would like them to stay out.

The best this Scout can do at this time is to donate to the American Red Cross ... and that's what I did. My company is matching 1-for-1, so my donation was doubled. I can only wish I could do more to help.

A local TV station here in MN has organized a relief drive and I got word of it at the Thursday night Roundtable. They needed workers to unload donations from cars onto pallets and then into semi trucks. I sent email to the troop about it Thursday night and instructed them to contact their Patrol Leader if they were in town and interested in helping.

I was pretty surprised by the response. Volunteering as patrols since Friday morning, about 20 scouts have put in around 200 hours and sent 8 semis down the road heading south. One of our NSPs is heading back to load some more in about a half hour. :-)

We know its not much, but its something. It has been a great eye-opener for many scouts to see just how generous people can be when there is a need. Quite a few "Wow, did you see how much water that lady dropped off?!" remarks through the weekend. And, 4 of our Eagles were there showing the other scouts that you help when you can, even if you don't need service hours for advancement.

Scout On,

Paul

Ive receieved an email from the professional organization to which i belong asking for volunteers to go to Jackson and be part of one of two groups. the 1st ais to use GIS to map data from Katrina, the 2nd is a group with personal laptops and GPS with GIS integration to go out with SAR people to map out sites and gather data. Volunteers will be provided food and tent shelters and will be reimbursed for travel costs.

I live in Houston. It's true that the Houston Police Department did tell the council to stop having units call the Astrodome about volunteering. Given the size and complexity of the operations at the 'dome, it was better that BSA units not be involved during those first hours. Our troop is directing its efforts through the CO(a church congregation). My wife (the cutest BobWhite in the flock!) and I have gone through the food handling training for the efforts at the George R. Brown Convention Center - or wherever we are told to report.

The situation here remains very fluid. The Carnival Cruise Line has several cruise ships docked at Galveston ready to take evacuees and shelter them on board the ships - and the evacuees don't want to move from a cot on the 35 yd. line in the middle of 12,000 other cots with no privacy to a stateroom on a cruise ship, complete with walls, a door that can be locked, and a private bathroom and shower(!). They have said that they just don't want ot move again. I can understand not wanting to move, but not move to better acomidations . . .? Go figure. Stay tuned.

Talk to your childs school principal. See in your school is getting kids in from the shelters. If they are offer to take any kid that is a scout into your troop. If is a one on one way of helping and giving these kids who have lost so much a little normality back into their lives.

I received an email from the founder of a charitable organization I belong to. This fellow's an Eagle Scout. Last I heard from him, he was driving from TX to MS with his big BBQ rig (which can feed over 2,000) to help feed those who haven't had a meal in days. He put out a call to his geographically-closer volunteers to help him with this.