Sharing your beliefs about God and man

Part of being a Scout(er) is to believe in some expression of God, which is derived from any one of a number of religions. I would like to pose three basic questions and ask each person to use their source book(s), a type of open book test, to answer them. The questions are considered easy because (most) all religions address the answers. I ask that you not make up an answer or explain your answer but simply quote from what readings that you find sacred.

Why are we here?

Why is there evil?

What happens after we die?

Thanks,

FB

Fuzzy, a very ineresting post and I look forward to the replies! However - merely as an aside - let me mention that your framing of the question presupposes that other faiths indeed have, "sacred readings". While this is true for the Abrahamic tradition (this is why Jews, Christians, Muslims are together called 'People of the Book'), the same is not true for all other faiths.

Please forgive my errant request. I was not trying to close the door on any faith but was attempting to open as many doors as possible. If your belief has no sacred writings but God is linked to your faith, then share with us your answers to these fundamental questions that have been asked since people first began to think.

FB

Ed,

I followed your instruction to read Genesis. It doesn't say anything about God making man because it pleased him.

I am unsure as to any reason being stated about why there is evil in the world in Genesis.

I do not see anything with regard to what happens after death in Genesis.

Could you be more specific?

FB

Why are we here?

Genesis 1.27

And G-d created man in His image, in the image of G-d He created him; male and female He created them

Ref The Torah The Five Books of Moses A new translation of The Holy Scriptures according to the traditional Hebrew text Copyright 1962

Why is there evil?

The Possibility of Evil - A World of Love: Part 7

by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan

God may make it difficult for us to approach Him in order to increase our eventual reward.

One of the fundamental principles of creation is free will, where man can choose good as a matter of his own choice. God's purpose in creation does not allow man to be a robot or a puppet. But if God's purpose does not allow man to be a robot, neither does it permit him to be a prisoner.

Just as man must have free will, so must he have the opportunity to make use of it. A man locked up in a prison may have the same free will as anyone else, but there is little that he can do with it. If man is to do good as a matter of free choice, he must also have the possibility of doing that which is not good. For man to resemble his Creator to the greatest possible extent, he must exist in an arena where he has the maximum freedom of choice. The more that man resembles God in His omnipotence, the closer he can resemble Him in his free choice to do good.

It is for this reason that God created the possibility of evil.

God therefore told His prophet, "I form light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil. I am God, I do all these things" (Isaiah 45:7). In keeping himself from evil, man takes the first step toward good. Job thus said, "the fear of God is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding" (Job 28:28). God created evil in order that it may be conquered.

If nothing but good were possible, it would produce no benefit. To use the Talmudic metaphor (Chulin 60b), it would be like carrying a lamp in broad daylight. The Zohar states, "The advantage of wisdom comes from foolishness, just as that of light would not be discernible, and would produce no benefit. Thus, it is written, 'God has made one thing opposite the other" (Ecclesiastes 7:14

Ref.

http://www.aish.com/spirituality/philosophy/The_Possibility_of_Evil_-_A_World_of_Love_Part_7.asp

What happens after we die?

He (Rabbi Jacob) used to say: Better is one hour of repentance in this world than the whole life of the world to come. This implies that basic to Judaism is this life and what we do during our sojourn in this mortal world The Torah which commanded us to live a life of study and good deeds, applies to this earthly life. Our main emphasis, therefore, should be on living the good life, the devout life, the ethical life, the virtuous life here on earth, and we may be confident that the Hereafter will follow suit.

Ref A Time To Be Born, A Time to Die By Rabbi Isaac Klein Copyright United Synagogue Youth 1976 page 63.

It Trail Day

Thank you for your reply from the "If you were God" article by Rabbi Kaplan. The reasoning from the Bible, Rabbis, Teachers, Sages, the Zohar, Midrash, and The Talmud are impressive by any standard. I would like to summarize and reply to the article, if I have your permission.

FB

FB,

I don't remember the source for my quote. It's one I learned a long time ago that stuck with me. What it says to me is God didn't create man just to give Him something to do. He created man because He wanted to.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10