It has been a good visit.

About a million messages ago, someone noted that people respond only to the last one or two posts on any one topic. Since then, I have noted that there are several types of responses. One is the back and forth between two people locked-on to each other whether they are on-topic or off-topic. Another is the person that posts on several topics and religiously expects an answer; probably does a search for their name and then begins. Another is the lone response, no expectation of an answer, just a shot straight up. Then there is the inspirational response and also the foot in the mouth response. There is also the silly response and the religious response, sometimes, one and the same. There is the trolled response to harangue and prick an interest. Then there is the off-topic response where the writer most likely just missed the main point making for a Barney Fife.

There is strangeness to these interactions because it is not like a traditional dialogue. In other words, a person speaks and the listener responds with a yes/no, shake of the head or an opinion. Here it is a group-speak. Some may just listen and then enter in unexpectedly at any point. Sometimes there is a barrage of responses and sometimes people even repeat one another. It is like an echo effect. It is like someone that doesn't listen and then hears something and then jumps into the conversation. Then there is the person that may read 10 pages of things and can respond with accuracy. There is also the response that hits the nail on the head and puts an end to the inquiry. Then there is the response that uncovers a loose end to the end reply and shows it to be false, thus setting up another round.

With all of the intellectual ammunition, insights, experience, and humor, it really is a nice place to visit.

FB

Fuzzy,

I especially enjoy the drunken weave that most threads take from topic to topic. Some threads are more like several conversations being conducted simultaneously and at the same volume. A sometimes frustrating but always entertaining new form of dialogue.

And, Fuzzy, to add to the mix, many threads contain all of the types of responses you mention, at the same time :)

After you've been here even a little while, you do get to learn something about the people you're corresponding with, even tho you never see their faces. And it's a pretty good mix, I think. You learn who's talking "to" you, and who's talking "at" you after awhile. There are certainly some people who don't like each other, as far as I can tell, but that seems to be a minority. And there are some people who just won't entertain an opposing view. Mostly, tho, good folks who enjoy a good conversation, even while disagreeing at times. As I've said, this would be a pretty boring place if every topic had to be "Scouting is nice", and every response was "I agree" :) So, definitely, a nice place to visit.

It's sort of like sitting on a front porch at a family reunion. People come and go all the time, some stop to talk for hours, some make only a passing comment as they head in for coldcuts, some just sit and listen, sometimes we argue about stuff that happened years ago, Crazy Uncle Frank usually takes center stage for awhile with some bombastic story, we know who to avoid and who we get along with best, we know what topics can set each other off, we share stories, laughs and opinions. We are family. A scouting family. Thanks Fuzzy.

I suppose I'm the gay cousin the family is still trying to get used to... I live off in the big city, and drop back in from time to time, for family reunions and such.

But I'm not really sure I know who Crazy Uncle Frank would be. All in all, I'd play horseshoes with just about anyone in the family.

Semper, I like that mental picture a lot. We call this place "a virtual campfire", but I like the image of a virtual front porch even better.

hmmm... but that makes me want to go "inside" for a slice of virtual peach pie...

;)

It certainly is a good place to visit. I also enjoy "rabbit trails" when discussions veer around. We certainly have a lot of different personalities and motives represented, but all in all I would say we have a group of very knowledgeable Scouters with a variety of viewpoints that it would be hard to find anywhere else.

The visual I had is of a bunch of old men (and women!) sitting around the pot bellied stove in the old hardware store. No topic was too good to spark a good argument. And no matter what you say, someone will be happy to argue the other side, with vigor! And most of it is unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

My analogy is that of a neighborhood saloon where I swager up to the bar, order a drink, hear the last comment from the group of fellas standing next me, I offer up my opinion, down the drink and head for the pool room for an entirely different topic.

Since hugs are out, I was hoping for a group accordion session or how about a big John Wayne, "You buncha lugs".

Remember, this is just a time out from the real business of blood and guts, furry and dialogue so don't anybody get real chummy. I expect a good hard head butt in the very next post.

FB

OGC,

My Dad used to have an expression that used those words. I irritated him on occasion which brought forth that particular graphic illustration of blindness to fact. The shock value was usually lost on my literalism with the resulting humor.

FB