Right to Peaceably Assemble

So if the BSA continues to encouter a few, yet loud objectors to the private/religious component of the BSA why don't we just insist on our other 1st amendment right to peaceably assemble?

The million man march cost the government millions of dollars for logistics and that group clearly benefited for government support and was also put on by a clearly religious group. Or the MLK gathering in 1964 "I Have A Dream" debut he was a preacher right? How about the ERA demonstrations during the 70's-80's some may have been peaceful. Or the pro-abortion or pro-life rallies minister's participated in all of these events. All benefited for the logistical support of the government-most held without having to pay a dime. Maybe we should not let the Merlyns or the ACLU define the language this time and jusyt demand our 1st amendment rights that we be allowed to meet peaceably for 10 days and do it Fort A.P. Hill inn 2010.

What do ya think?

Another attempt at satire?

But seriously, your right to peaceably assemble to petition for redress of grievances (not to have a Jamboree) is subject to reasonable "time, place and manner" restrictions. In the specific cases you mention, if the marchers had attempted to conduct their activities on a military base without permission, I suspect the results might have been a bit different.

Hey NJ-why not satire or even sarcasm-if the argument in other threads is the freedom or religion(or not, public or private, free association) and the free exercise thereof can be seperated then the right to assemble followed by a coma and the the right to petition are on the table also. A government property is government property-whether it is a military base or the Lincoln Memorial. The idea that a different standard would be applied to the BSA than to the Nation of Islam or NOW or a Baptist Minister leaves motives suspect.

Government property is government property-whether it is a military base or the Lincoln Memorial.

Really? You try having a protest march at each and let me know how you make out. Though, after you refuse to leave the military base beause you think government property is government property, please don't waste your one phone call on me, an attorney in your own state would be a better bet.

I said nothing about protest marches-Ask the TV president Martin S. no, you don't climb barbed wire fences after being told not to or you individually suffer the consequence of criminal prossecution. Or Ask Jimmie about his daughter and the right to protest. Even rank/status can't keep you from the law. No one is above the law but exercising your rights under the law/constitution is permitted. I said 1st amendment right of a group to PEACEABLY assemble and i doubt seriously that the BSA would organize an event that is not peaceable in nature.

I can't picture a million accordions playing as peacable-but the sight of a million lawyers running to the Supreme Court screaming and holding their ears may well be worth the effort of trying to gather such a group.

If a group of whales is called a pod and a group of turtles is called a bale and a bunch of geese is called a gaggle what does one call a group of lawyers bent on filing a class action suit representing one person against a group gathering a accordion deluxe?

I don't normally take offense at lawyer jokes, but some of this is beginning to be a little annoying.

Not all lawyers are ACLU stooges or would-be politicians. Most don't appear on TV begging you to sue somebody for some wrong done to you. Most spend more pro bono hours helping poor people and charities than you realize.

I think I reported over a thousand hours of volunteer work for 2004-2005. I don't even practice law, but have to maintain a lot of ongoing legal education, reporting and dues paying. I created, run and pay for a 501©(3) corporation to own Sea Scout vessels and assist other youth maritime organizations.

A lot of councils I know would go out of business without their lawyer volunteers and financial contributors.

Could we lighten up guys? If you don't, I will learn to play the bagpipe, record an album of Celtic music and send it to every one of by private message. :)

I guess it is good that someone did not see all of the lawyer jokes from about 6 months ago, they where much worse than these.

When you say not all lawyers, what do you think about 1 percent?(This message has been edited by dan)

WOW -25-40hour weeks or 50-20 hours weeks or 3 hours per day x 365 as a volunter. Fantastic!

My congratulations you are indeed a hero. Thank you on behalf of the youth you serve.

these weren't lawyer jokes they were accordion player jokes and the ACLU was not even mentioned

NJ- so you choose to ignor the proposition because you deemed it satire but my query was and is legitimate. For you to bold print in response and leave out the all important comma means you misread the amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion , or prohibiting the free execise thereof ; or abridging the freedom of speech , or of the press , or the right of the people peaceably to assemble , and the right to petition the government for a redress of grievences.

Why can't the BSA elect to do their business under the section peaceable assembly rather than fighting the religion/private/discrimination banner?(This message has been edited by stlscouter)