Should the BSA promote creationism?

Theory of Evolution. Not proven. Theory.

Why would the BSA embrace Creationism or Evolution? There is no reason. Sort of like the purpose of this thread. No reason.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed, I agree with you 100%.

BSA has no role in teaching our scouts either theory. Leave it to Sunday school and science class to battle that out.

As for Judy Tenuta, she is the poster child of why accordians are destroying the fabric of our society. Need I say more?

Moil,

The term 'troll' was used in the context of your attempt to solicit responses with your baited post, in the same context that a fisherman trolls with bait to catch fish. It was not meant to personally describe you!

Perhaps if you were exposed to a outdoor program for young men at some point in your childhood, you might have recognized the term. I'm trying to think of some organization that promotes such an outdoor program, but I just can't put my finger on one... :-)

Ed and Gern,

You both seem to imply that it would not be appropriate for BSA to include evolutionary theory as elements of the Scouting program. I don't follow your reasoning at all on this, and I strongly disagree. This theory is a key element in the Geology MB.

If you are suggesting this because evolution by means of natural selection is a 'theory', then we should also discontinue including 'electrical theory' in the Electronics MB, 'atomic theory' in the Nuclear Science MB, 'gravitational theory' in the Space Exploration MB, and so on.

If you are suggesting this because some religions do not accept evolution, then I would remind you that other religions have no problem with evolution. The conclusion here is that belief in evolution has no inherent relevance to the DRP's 'belief in God' requirement. This point was made in post #2 in this thread, above.

Belief in evolution is scientific, not religious; by contrast, the belief in creation/intelligent design is religious. The Geology MB is not required for advancement and Scouts whose religion forbids acceptance of this field of science are not required to study it.

Trevorum,

That's not what I implied at all. What I meant was the BSA shouldn't adopt either as general knowledge. If the understanding of either is required for a merit badge, that is different. But for the BSA to state "We accept Creationism/Evolution as part of our creed." would be wrong.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

CA_scouter, I know where the term "troll" comes from, and that describes both you and EagleInKY better than me. Both you and he haven't addressed the subject of the thread (should the BSA promote creationism); I have. Both you and he have attempted childish "baiting" by referring to me as "Moilan" and "Moil" - common trolling tactics.

So both of you have been trolling in this thread, not me.

Now, ignoring the trolls and addressing the actual subject:

Ed, you seem to think that the BSA shouldn't endorse evolution, because it conflicts with some people's religions. Would this go for any other fields of science?

Trevorum, I don't think you can dismiss out-of-hand the idea that the BSA may endorse creationism in some way; even though, as you point out, creationism is related to some specific religious sects and not others, I pointed out that the same is true for the BSA's gay policies.

Ed, OK, I just misunderstood your point.

I agree that it would be silly for BSA to formally accept or reject (for example) either Newtonian physics OR the flat earth theory. Neither have anything central to do with fostering citizenship, building character, and making ethical decisions.

Ed, you seem to think that the BSA shouldn't endorse evolution, because it conflicts with some people's religions. Would this go for any other fields of science?

Merlyn,

What you seem to think I think isn't what I think at all. It is only what you think I think which incorrect. So your question is moot.

Is that a bridge?

Trevorum,

I would agree.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Okay Merlyn, For the record, I am against the BSA promoting creationism. I'm fine with schools discussing the debate (without getting into too much theology). But there is no point of this in scouting. We've got too many other great things to teach boys.

evolution:BIG BANG (there was noise?) and everything came into existence. CREATIONISM: God spoke (there was noise.) and every thing came into existence. Therefore God's name is Big Bang.

Evolution: the universe will eventually stop expanding and will collapse. God said the the heavens and the earth shall pass away, but I will remain.

All the stuff in the middle-just details.

God=3 evolutuion=2 therefore God wins again.

Yeah Judy the religious icon of a dead civilization-maybe now we know why.(This message has been edited by stlscouter)

The BSA already supports both creationism and evolution in various aspects of its program. It does not state them to be mutually exclusive.

But lets get back to the original question.

Topic: Should the BSA promote creationism?

Answer: The BSA as a private organization can and should promote whatever position on whatever topic that its executive board determines to be representative of the BSA. No one is forced to agree with them or affiliate themselves with any opinion they render. However, those who do agree are welcomed to identify themselves through membership and/or support.