Should the BSA promote creationism?

For those unfamiliar with Phillip Johnson, he's a fairly well-known lawyer/creationist apologist who has written books like Darwin On Trial; here he comments on Darrell Lambert's situation and thinks that the BSA should "protect" scouts from becoming atheists:

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=16-02-016-c

If it is important to the Boy Scouts that their members be and remain believers in God, then they need to make some effort to protect the boys under their care from the predictable effects of the teaching of evolution, that universal acid, to use Daniel Dennetts classic phrase, which has dissolved the religious faith of so many. Perhaps there should be a merit badge for understanding the evolution controversy, including knowledge of the truth about the Haeckel embryo drawings, the Cambrian explosion, and the peppered moth story, as well as the philosophical assumptions that generate the theory.

So, maybe an anti-science merit badge, or something.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merlyn, we know you are just trolling here, but for the record, let me remind everyone that "BSA does not define what constitutes belief in God or the practice of religion" (BSA position statement, June 2001).

Further, "The Boy Scouts of America ... is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and the organization of the group with which the member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life." (excerpted from the DRP).

Since creationism is the religious belief of some specific sects and not others, and so has no intrinsic bearing on the "belief in God", it would follow that incorporating this particular belief into BSA program would violate the DRP.

Since creationism is the religious belief of some specific sects and not others, and so has no intrinsic bearing on the "belief in God", it would follow that incorporating this particular belief into BSA program would violate the DRP

You mean the way the BSA's defining gays as not "clean" and "morally straight" matches some religious beliefs and not others violates the DRP?

Merlyn- I am against the ban on atheists as well, but equating all Christians with creationists is about as hateful and non-productive as any other form of stereotyping.

I have to admit that I am a bit confused by Mr. Johnson's thought process...

A boy in the Scouts becomes an atheist at least in part due to what he learned in SCHOOL, but the BSA should have done something to 'protect' him from that? Somehow this seems to him to be a natural outgrowth of our DRP?

I believe that it is the church's and parent's job to deal with issues like that, not the BSA.

(As an aside... Mr. Johnson still thinks Haeckel's stuff has any validity? It would be funny if it were not so sad.)

Merlyn- I am against the ban on atheists as well, but equating all Christians with creationists is about as hateful and non-productive as any other form of stereotyping.

Oh, I'm not equating all Christians with creationists, but the people in charge of BSA policy seem to be the sort who would likely be sympathetic to creationism. The same can be said for many of the most vocal BSA supporters, Like George W. Bush.

Merlyn... *sigh* That is certainly true. As with any large organization, sometimes our supporters are our worst advertising.

On a slightly different note... do ANY of the current merit badges require a belief in evolution to complete? I don't have my book handy, but a quick scan of some of the science/nature badges on-line does not seem to show anything like that.

And- an anti-science MB? Would it include things like believing in ghosthunting (EMP, 'white noise', etc.), aliens, phone psychics, and so on as well? ;)

I fully support a MB for learning to play the accordion. This would prove two things. It would prove that mankind has evolved to a spiritual high point in endurance and patience. It would also prove creationism's explanation about some "musical" instruments not being the product of evolution is correct. These kinds of instruments were gifts from God made especially to benefit everyone's spirituality. Let's Polka down!

maybe now Weird Al and Judy whatshername wlii be able to bask in the full glory of the spotlight. Is it possible for a person born with only one hand to both a musician and an accordion player? What a tragedy that they can never reach the pinicle of human achievement. Let's sue the BSA. VIVA LA KAZOO!

Did the band ever really need a guy that couldn't speak English give them an intro with, a one-a and a two-a? If they could count in English, the "a" should have thrown them off.

Myron always seemed like the son that didn't belong. He wasn't pretty and didn't have two smiling sisters to accompany him.

The BSA has no interest in promoting creationism and will never go where Mr. Johnson suggests.

Never? I've seen scouters in this forum try to dismiss evolution as science; it's hardly a stretch to imagine that such views could be promoted by the BSA itself in the near future.

And you don't have a very good definition of "troll", as real trolls don't debate the issues. You're closer to that definition than me.