Many people know that Juris annoyed everyone by calling BSA "BSA Inc." But if you go in the Issues and Politics Forum, on the top of the screen there is a disclaimed that says:

DISCLAIMER: SCOUTER.com is a private website. This particular forum is an open discussion for any topic, but there are rules of decorum. Posts within this forum express only the views of the poster. No one on this forum can claim to speak for anyone but themselves. The content of this forum can not be an accurate representation of Scouting members, the Boy Scouts of America, Inc., or SCOUTER.com.

(sic)

In the disclaimer part of it says: "the Boy Scouts of America, Inc." (sic)

Either the disclaimer is wrong or Juris is RIGHT! (Gasp)

Comments?

The statute that gives the BSA its "Federal Charter" does not, to my recollection, include "Inc." in the name. I looked at the official BSA website and at least on the front page, the name is "Boy Scouts of America" with no "Inc." I believe however that it was also incorporated as a corporation of the State of New York, and whether the statutes of that state require the name to contain some "incoporation word" (as the statutes of my state does) I do not know. I also do not know whether the BSA is still a New York corporation. I did do a "Google" search and found several references to "Boy Scouts of America, Inc.," though none of them seemed to be "official."

I also know that some people in this forum (which I think includes me, once) refer to "BSA, Inc." (sometimes in quotes, sometimes not) to distinguish National (the "Inc.") from the actual day-to-day operation of Scouting in local units. I don't think there's anything wrong with it since I think most readers understand what it means.

The BSA is a corporation, therefore an Inc, whether or not they choose to use it. So, it isn't inappropriate to say BSA, Inc.

That the purpose of this corporation shall be to promote, through organization and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in Scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods which are now in common use by Boy Scouts.

Sec. 3, federal charter, Boy Scouts of America June 15, 1916, by the United States Congress

Most states require that their corporations use some designation to show that they are corporations, but presumably Congress has not so specified. I don't see any reason that it should be a pejoritive, except that some of Juris posts may have cast it in that light.

The BSA has a resource that helps to answer this, and as far as the name goes, this comes directly from that resource:

Boy Scouts of America

The legal name of the organization is singular. Example: "In 2010 the Boy Scouts of America will celebrate its 100th anniversary." The abbreviation is BSA (without periods) and is used with the article ("the BSA") when used as a noun. See "National Council" and "national office."

The resources is The Language of Scouting:

http://www.scouting.org/identity/los/index.html

I went back and reread some of Centreville Scout's posts. Early on he claimed to be 12 years old. The style and content of later posts can lead one to believe that he is not what he claims to be. If this is our old troll, he must be part cat. He has had at least 6 or 7 lives. What happens when he gets to 9?

"Was Juris right?"

That's like asking if the voice you hear at the drive-thru at the local taco shack is right. You can't understand a word of it, you just wait until it stops talking at you and then drive on to the window. You take what ever is in the bag and smile nice.

Did you say troll or toll? Well, just the other day I had to pay at the gate. So, it was with much loathing I paid it. I thought I would never hear of it again since it was sent away but today, right back again. That miserable creature!

Nlscouter writes:

SR450Beaver, maybe our troll will get a question that he can't "answer" and, like the troll in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", be sent over the cliff never to be heard from again.

That's wasn't a troll, that was the old man from Scene 24.