Eagle Recommendation Letters

I've seen on previous topics that folks were discussing Eagle recommendation letters. My son is in the process of filling out his Eagle application and I haven't seen anything indicating the need for recommendation letters. The application does, however, have a space for names, addresses and phone numbers of those willing to make a recommendation on behalf of the Eagle candidate.

Am I missing something?

Pamalam

It is my understanding that your son lists/asks for individuals to give letters of recommendation for him. However, he will never see those letters. After the Eagle board of review get finished with them, they are destroyed.

I admit, I'm struggling to remember what I've had in training on this subject. I've never had to deal with the process directly.

The actual Requirement #2 says in part: "List the names of individuals who know you personally and would be willing to provide a recommendation on your behalf."

Whether or not those recommendations are required ahead of time is questionable. However, if the written recommendations aren't given to the board at the time of the BOR, somebody (District Advancement Committee?) has to go out after the BOR and ask the references for letters. That just drags the whole thing out.

I'm nugging through all this right now for one of my Life Scouts who has his Eagle BOR in Seoul tomorrow...

KS

My council includes in the packet 6 blank forms for the references to fill out and return to the Scout in a sealed envelope addressed to the Eagle Board of Review. The Scout never see these, but is instructed to find references that are complimentary to him.

As my troop's Eagle Project Advisor, I ensure these are in place before the packet is submitted to the Council Service Center.

Having served on my district's Eagle Board, I would have a problem with no written references at the board and at least, the five on the application. The Board would have a hard time voting without all requirements completed, including the references available to the board to see.

Ok, now I get it. It's not required, but if you want to speed things up and not cause a hassle for the BOR, you get the recommendations in writing ahead of time.

Thanks so much! I'm so excited for my son, he has worked SO HARD for this. He's got one more requirement for Emergency Preparedness and he'll have all of his merit badges done. Then, he can schedule his SM conference and BOR!

Whoohoo!

In two different districts in two different councils where we have lived and participated in scouting, the district advancement committee put the burden of getting the letters on the eagle candidate. Procedures varied but generally the scout provided the names to district people, the district provided the point of contact or addressee for the letters, and the scout requested the letters. I am not familiar with any particular form used for this purpose.

Frankly it makes sense for the scout to do this. Chasing recommendations for every eagle candidate would be a chore in itself. This way the person with the most at stake assumes the burden. It still requires coordination and follow up. The scout should talk regularly to the district eagle coordinator, if there is such a person, to make sure the scout understands what is expected and that the paper is flowing on schedule.

I've been at the Troop level for 26 years. We've worked the Eagle Application process through these years, and of course we have that portion of the Eagle Application filled out with recommendation information, but we have never required an Eagle candidate to actually procure letters from these folks. You're adding to the Eagle requirements, and that's not allowed.

sst3rd

We are going through this right now with my son. As others have said, our Council provides a form letter (for convenience only) that an Eagle candidate gives to all of the people listed as references on his application. The Eagle candidate asks each of these people to write a letter of recomendation, and forward it directly to the Council office.

When the application arrives, a file is started for that boy. The registrar double checks to make sure all of the advancement history matches their records, then puts the application in the file. Once a minimum of three letters come in for that boy, the registrar contacts the District Advancement Chair, who contacts the Scoutmaster to arrange a convenient time for all to hold a BOR. If more letters come in in the meantime, they are included in the file given to the District Advancement Chair. I have been on Eagle BORs often (8 - 10 times). Because of this process, we have always had letters to review. I don't know what would happen if there weren't any.

Mark

It seems to me that getting letters of recommendation is not adding a requirement. It is just taking the next step in "asking". The idea of providing a form is useful, that way the letters are consistent in the types of information they are providing.

From Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, No. 33088D, Page 31, "The 12 Steps From Life to Eagle", Step 5:

"When the completed application is recieved at the council service center, its contents will be verifed and the references contacted. The council advancement committee or its designee contacts the person listed as a reference on the Eagle Scout Rank Application either by letter, form or telephone checklist. The council determines the method or methods to be used. The candidate shoud have conatacted those indivduals listed as references before including their names on the application. The candidates should not be involved personally in transmitting any correspondence between the persons listed as references and the council service center."

In my council, the forms are provided the the Life to Eagle Packet, and even I earned my Eagle in 1980, it was the practice of having the candidate to find the reference, have them fill out the form and include the completed form in a sealed envelope with the finalized packet. Apparently, my council missed a step in the above listed regulation. I shall speak to my council concerning this matter.

YIS

Scott

shemgren has the correct reference. For as long as I have been an adult scotuer (mid 70s) it has been the council advancement committee or it's designees contacting the references. In almost every case that designee has been the troop committee advancement chair. It has never been the scout's responsibility to do anything other than supply names and addresses for as long as I know.

Bob

BW,

Thanks for coming in to the dialogue on this. Is there anything in the language cited above that would prevent the council/district from adopting a procedure whereby the scout solicits letters? It seems to me the "designee" could be anybody. Further the council has the latitude to "determine the method or methods to be use..." Your thoughts?