What about gay parents?

Rational thinking defines a choice as something easy to do based on an aptitude. I would like to play the piano but it takes time and practice. I don't have a desire to take the time for the practice, so I do not play the piano. Playing the piano is not a disease process either where it rubs off on the would-be player, so I can't just "get it" by being in the same room with a piano. I know some who are mechanical players that make music but the sound is not from the heart and that is not the kind of music I would like to play. I know some players that are gifted and that is the music I would love to play but that still doesn't get me there. I know that playing the piano is not my gift, so I attend concerts where I appreciate great playing from a distance. I will never understand all of the reasons that playing the piano passed me by but appreciating the gifts that I do have is an important and difficult goal in my own life.

FB

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand the last three posters correctly (Scoutldr, GernBlansten, Fuzzy Bear) -

To understand homosexuality (i.e. how TJ became gay), we should plant our fat heterosexual butts on a piano bench and learn to play music from the heart. Hmmm, if I had only realized this sooner.

Fat butts? Has someone been peeking? :) The analogy is to artistic creativity - which I think is a reasonably good analogy.

However, park your butt (whatever the size) on that piano bench and give it a try. Either you will have musical talent (regardless of instruction) or not. It will not be your choice. You can always choose to play (or not) but you cannot choose to have (or not to have) the innate talent.

Let me take it a step further. Now if one wants to play music but has no talent, then play the organ. It has little keys that can play all kinds of music just by pushing buttons. One can play a tom-tom or cymbal and make pretty good sounds but it is done automatically without much thought. So, it is has nothing to do with musical talent but is more like an air traffic controller. I guess we could call that person a musician but few would agree. He probably should be at the airport.

It doesn't take talent to have a fat butt but it does take a lot of time on the bench. I love a good philosophical debate.

FB

Musical talent & homosexuality are similar? Don't think so.

I would say you can teach anyone anything you want & they will probably learn it. So if you want to say musical talent & homosexuality are similar because they can both be taught then I would agree.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, I think you missed his point by a mile.

You can teach someone music, but not a talent. Talent is a gift, something born with, something on loan by God. He may be able to play music but would not be a musician.

Do you see the point?

Ed, I think you missed his point by a mile.

You can teach someone music, but not a talent. Talent is a gift, something born with, something on loan by God. He may be able to play music but would not be a musician.

Do you see the point?

I think I got the point. But are you saying being homosexual is the same a being born with talent? If so, I would disagree.

If a person can play music, they are a musician regardless of their talent level. Same as a baseball player. Makes no difference how well he/she plays or what talent for the sport he/she has, he/she is still a baseball player.

Talent isn't a loan, either. It is a gift.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Here is the challenge. Try playing the piano either with or without instrution. You will find that it is difficult to do even with a good teacher. A person must have a talent to do it and even if they do have talent, they still must practice.

So the question remains, does playing the piano rub off on any unsuspecting by-standers?

Fuzz,

I hate accordian music. I hate the music, not the musicians. I have a book that claims accoridan music is one of the dark arts. My parents hated accordians and my grandparents too. In fact, I think most people in the US hate accordian music with me. Playing the accordian is just against natural law and should be banned. I could never belong to an organization that allows accordian players in it, or allows accordian music to be played. I don't want my children exposed to accordian music, it might make them want to become accordian players. I don't want my tax dollars spent defending accordian players or their right to play accordians in public. I believe that if someone shows talent playing the accordian, they can be re-educated to play some other kind of music or not play music at all.

I think accordian players are poisoning America with their accordian agenda. Pushing accordian music into public schools, recruiting players at every turn. I now boycott Disneyworld because I see they employ accordian players. Accordian music has permiated American culture and it must stop. Please help me.

So the question remains, does playing the piano rub off on any unsuspecting by-standers?

This analogy fails in so many ways. Even if you don't consider homosexuality to be a perversion, one should consider the potential influence that sexuality has on an individual any individual but especially men. Its staggering how many succumb. Since the beginning of time, sexual temptation has caused the ruin of more mens lives than any other vice. In contrast, from my limited life experience, I dont know of one news account whereas a man left his wife and family, or more generally speaking - set his life on a course for self-destruction, due to an irrepressible urge to play the piano.

Sheesh, I thought we were done with this topic, but, ok.

Jeez, Rooster, where are you getting these ideas that sexuality is such an awful thing? It's no better or worse than anything else out there. Humans are sexual beings; it's not something to be repelled by, it's something we should embrace. It's how we reproduce; it's how we gain immense pleasure; it's an ultimate expression of love. Do some people abuse sexuality? Sure, but I doubt that any more men have been brought to ruin by sexuality than by the violent expression of their religious beliefs. Is religion bad in and of itself? Of course not, but the damage and pain done in the name of God probably ranks right up there with any evil you care to mention. Sexuality is a GOOD thing, pal. If not for sexuality, there'd be no Rooster to type here about how evil sexuality is. :)

A person who plays the piano is a piano player regardless of how well they play the piano.

A person who plays basketball is a basketball player regardless of how well they play basketball.

Talent (if realized & used) for the piano or basketball will result in a person being a better piano or basketball player than a person without talent.

Homosexuality isn't a talent. It is a choice.

Ed Mori

Troop 1