What about gay parents?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since Homosexuality is a choice, I figure anything people are born with which is different from the "norm" must be a choice

I didn't know people were born with homosexuality! I thought it was a choice made after birth.

Prairie_Scouter,

Im sure it wasnt your intent to portray me as sort of prude in order to score points for your cause.

So to be clear, I never said sex was wrong. I think that was obvious, but I will say it explicitly so that you cannot distort my words in the future. I said - we need to recognize the power of sexual temptation, especially in mens lives. If youre stating that sexual temptation has no more influence over men that most other temptations, then I have to conclude one of two things either youre in denial or youre not a man possibly both.

I remember my school years from elementary school, to JR high, to SR high, and all through college. I recall working as a laborer when I was 19 - pouring concrete for a construction company. I currently work with many professionals as an engineer at NASA. Ive attended all sorts of churches - Catholic and Protestant. Ive hung around with book worms, rednecks, jocks, and academics If Ive learned one thing from my social, academic, and professional relationships with other men - the one thing 99.99% of us have in common, is a great weakness for sexual temptation. If youre one of the .01% not affected, thank God that hes placed that protection around you. However, even so, youd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to realize how sexual temptation potentially affects the rest of us.

With that said, I have a very difficult time viewing homosexuality as some sort of hidden talent such as piano playing. I think the analogy is very naive.

Since men are so weak willed, driven by an intense sexual proclivity and already have numerous opportunities to choose homosexuality, then the whole human race should end pretty soon. Churches should be empting and/or change their creeds as we speak. Boy Scouts should no longer have the problem with the homosexual ban because everyone would be one. This forum on Issues and Answers would turn into us arguing about Issues on Styles concerning the uniform. But, nobody here has even remotely shown an interest in becoming a homosexual, even given all of the chances to choose otherwise. All I hear is that most are happy being heterosexual, married, and with child.

Now, let me comment on the accordion music. From the first time I heard it played until the last time I heard it, I have not changed my opinion one itsy bit. I cannot stand the sound of it. If I was given free lessons and an accordion, I would just simply stop, drop and roll. Just think about it. If the guy on the Lawrence Welk Show was something of a phenom, then what would someone sound like just learning and practicing? Not a pretty sight or sound, right? I think we both agree that the accordion is not the kind of squeeze we want in life even under threat of bodily harm.

An accordion player is on his (her) way to the next concert, the expensive instrument riding in its case in the back of the station wagon. They stop at a restaurant for a meal and while the order is being taken by the waiter, the accordion player remembers...they forgot to lock the car. They rush outside to lock the car only to see that it is too late.

The back of the station wagon now contains TWO accordions.

Two accordions walk into a bar and the Bartender says, "We don't serve your kind in here". They look around and sure enough all the other musical instruments are represented at the tables. It dawns on them that if they want to be accepted they would need to disguise themselves. So they go back out into the parking lot and return in drag looking like small pianos but they were still ignored, even the tuba didnt give a hoot.

The accordion gets bad press even from their family, so it best to move on to another instrument. What about the drums? Now there is one we could beat to death.

FB

At first I thought we had found an issue with universal agreement in this forum! Finally, something controversial that needn't be... we might disagree on gays, or women, or religion or many other things, but at least we all can agree on the insidious nature of the accordion.

But then this morning I began to worry... what if it is just my prejudice allowing me to bash these accordions? What if my ear just isn't tuned to fully appreciate the unique grace of an accordion? Have I judged to harshly? In my fervor to join in with everyone else in condemning the accordion, what silent damage might I be a party to inflicting?

What if at this moment there is an young accordion player reading this exchange... what are we doing to their self-image right now? What if they are compelled to work the accordion... you know, that "just gotta polka" feeling they've had since their earliest recollection?

As interesting, what if one of us, the brethren of this forum, is a closet accordion player? Right here, right among us... watching as the entire crowd piles on in scorn, when secretly each night they slip away just to play their organ?

I have my strong opinions of accordions, that's for sure. But in fairness, I've never really known an accordion player. Perhaps my opinion might change radically, if there was an accordion player close to me, or some famous musician that made accordion playing cool... perhaps Bono could turn me toward the accordion.

Yes, I'll admit, once or twice in my younger days I encountered an accordion, and I may have even experimented a bit with it. But it clearly wasn't for me, and never felt right. But who am I to judge?

No, I'm left to wonder who among us is the closeted accordion player... statistically there must be someone here, suffering in quiet. Hmmm... I have my suspicions.

I don't know much about the origin of the accordion but it sure seems like a good idea gone bad. The only thing that possibly sounds worse is one of those cheesy organs that had the cord buttons on them. Nasty noise!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

You know what they say, the ones who seem to be the biggest accordiophobes are usually hiding something themselves. Especially the ones who thing the idea of accordion playing "was a good idea" that's just "gone bad" (perhaps not wanting to relate to the more noisy accordion players of the day).

Ed, you're among friends.

seriously..back to the BIBLE..it says in Psalms to make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Can an accordion truly make a "joyful" noise? And why aren't there any accordions in a marching band? Does anyone know where I can get a download of an accordion version of "Amazing Grace" or "The Star Spangled Banner"? And why do you know this information?(This message has been edited by stlscouter)