It won't happen to me!

(Disclaimer: this thread has nothing to do with Scouting.)

Early this morning at 1:30 AM, my Ford F150, parked in my driveway, spontaneously exploded in a ball of flame. The fire department came and put it out. They said it was electrical. A charred shell remains.

I had heard about this happening to Fords before but, like a smoker, I told myself, "It won't happen to me."

There's a lesson here somewhere, maybe a SM minute, but I'm too tired and stunned to think what it is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch!

Well a car ended up in my backyard around 12:30 AM this morning! Drunk driver. Did damage to my timber wall. Driver was taken to jail!

This should be an insurance nightmare cause the police weren't sure he had any!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Wow, glad to hear nobody was hurt.

If it will help fulfill a "three" you can use the car accident that I had in March, though I suppose that is stretching things a bit. My car was totaled, I was ok, and the other driver's insurance co. took full responsibility. (Without going into all the details, the police report contained a line I will remember for the rest of my life because it is completely ludicrous, regardless of whether it is true. And why would a driver make this up? The other driver told the police, "I was reaching for a tissue and accidentally shifted the vehicle into reverse." This was at about 60 mph on a rain-slicked interstate highway.)

A SM minute eulogy in loving memory of Trevorum's truck...

I loved my old Truck. I still remember the first time I drove it home. It was immaculate with that wonderful new car smell. Over the years it certainly lost some of its luster the new car smell was replaced by a more horsey odor, those clean seats eventually became stained with coffee spills, I had to start turning the radio up to drown out the rattles, and each new scratch and dent bothered me less and less. While it was no longer shiny and new, it became more and more comfortable as it became a part of me with each new outing.

I guess my truck is a lot like scouting. I still remember what it felt like to put my immaculate and freshly scented uniform on for the first time. How the Scout Promise and Law meant so much as I memorized each word in its proper place. I remember those first camping trips as if they happened yesterday and the feeling of new experiences in the woods. Over these many years of scouting, my uniform is, how shall we say, not nearly as sweet smelling, there have been a few stains on my scouting experiences, and camping has become so routine that sometimes I dont recognize just how incredible it is to experience Gods handiwork in nature. Yes, scouting has become more and more comfortable as it has become a part of me with each new outing.

My truck blew up last night.

I suppose I will be buying another one very soon. I think this may be a sign to me to always remember not to become so comfortable as to take things for granted. Wont you join me in not taking scouting, this troop and your fellow scouts for granted.

(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

This is actually the 2nd time in a month for me. A U-Haul truck ended up in my back yard about a month ago. I'm still fighting the insurance company on that! I've lived in my house for 25 years and these are the 1st instances like this! Go figure!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10