Adult leaders: physically fit?

For those in Scouting who find it difficult to stay in shape, I would like to suggest going on over to www.mattfurey.com.

I have a bunch of his products, including Combat Conditioning, which I share openly with my family memmbers. And being that I see Scouting as a part of my family, I share a few of the key exercises with them, especially since I got started not too long ago on Personal Fitness with my Troop. One Scout, in particular, is learning to lose weight in a safe and healthy way, and yet, he doesn't even go running. How often can you sell a line like that to someone that is out of shape? Anyways, I personally think it is a great program to go through (Combat Conditioning), and can be used by persons aged 2-94. Well, that's all for now,

-Eagle Scout 3:16

I know that I'm overweight & have had a weight problem most of my life. I know I should exercise & eat better but unfortunately due to severe stress - not scouting related - I tend to eat what I shouldn't! I'm sure a lot of people to that besides me!

I do want to start walking again so I'll be able to march with the pack in the Memorial Day Parade without huffing & puffing my way through town! I hope to accomplish this & fairly soon!

Judy

Walking is an extremely great thing to do. When you are a goo 50-100 lbs. overweight, you don't want to go running, because that will burn off glycogen, and just make you more hungry. Similar to the effects of swimming. But if you walk outside at a moderate pace (not fast) for half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night, your weight will steadily drop. If you really want it to fly off, I suggest the Magnificent 7 from Matt Furey's Combat Abs (Yeah, I know the name sounds scary, but it's stuff that works). Another option is hill walking. Walk down a hill and up it normally. Then walk back down normally. Now walk up the hill with increased length inbetween your stride, so you're almost doing a lunge (but don't let your knee come past your foot). Then go back down normally. Now come up walking backwards, with the normal amount of length in your stride. Then walk back down normally. Now walk back up with increased length in your stride, but walk backwards (this one will be the hardest). Now walk back down normally. When you walk back up, walk normally, but walk with a little bit of a bounce in your step, almost like you are jogging. Then go home and drink several large glasses of water (colder is better). The longer the hill the better. If you can't find a hill in your town, stadium steps by a highschool football field work just about as good. Another good tip (not just for exercise, but for diet as well) is to write down things in a journal.

YIS,

-D

Eagle Scout 3:16

I was quite overweight when I rejoined Scouting two years ago at age 54. That wasn't the image I wanted to project to youths, and I joined Weight Watchers and lost 50 pounds.

I regained 15 pounds after quitting WW 18 months ago, but have kept my weight steady for the past year. I figure I'm doing OK.

I walk nine miles 3-5 times/week and have improved my diet.

Seattle Pioneer

Well, even for those who think they are in pretty good shape, here's a personal story. I've roughly stayed around 171 lbs. since wrestling in high school, but when I went to Philmont, I dropped 15 lbs. Then I gained about 10 back from the Taste of Chicago. Then, two years later, I did OATC, and dropped 20. Again, gained most of it back; stupid Taste. Finally, this past summer, I went on OA Voyage: not just walking around, but getting a great upper body workout. At the start, I weighed about 185. At the end, I dropped to 158, an almost 30 lb. difference! Since then, I've only gained back 10 lbs. (probably because I didn't go back to the Taste this year), but this time around, it's all muscle instead of flabola. What I'm trying to say here is that proper weight loss, or weight gain, depending on your goals, doesn't depend on proper exercise, but proper exercise and proper diet. Up your metabolism by drinking more cold water and eliminating things like pancakes and waffles. Eat more fruits. Throw in a few pushups a day.

Enjoy it all, but in moderation.

YIS,

-D

• 1 month later...

Although I'm not overweight, I don't exercise as much as I should. So, I made sure to get back into the habit of exercising well before Klondike Derby. I never would have made it up and down all those snowy, wooded hills otherwise!

One of our leaders, who is by far the most overweight of the bunch, is also one of the strongest! I can barely keep up with him on hikes, and he's always at the head of the group when we go cycling. He exercises regularly, and is physically strong, but the weight just doesn't come off.

That's probably because he has more functional strength than just attractive muscle. Tons of people are overweight; even I am. But it doesn't mean we are fat, or even need to lose any weight. It just means, according to the national averages, we might have too much weight for our body's size. However, everyone's body type is different: bone density, flexibility, lean muscle, and cardio endurance are all varying factors when it comes to the individual. Some people are stronger than others, and look like they shouldn't even be on a sidewalk. As I boast all the time, "I've got a six pack; it's just covered by a layer of subcutaneous fat." Basically, someone can be in great shape and still have a little bit of flab on the outside. But if your leader is seriously looking to lose that extra weight, I suggest varying his exercises. Doing too much of the same exercise over and over again will eventually result in a lack of results. There's sprints up hills, certain breathing exercises, and even swimming, all which train our bodies in ways in which we are not used to, and we understand a different level of fitness after mixing things up.

YIS,

-D