How about a pertenint question?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll stupidly take the bait.

First, I'd be able to tell if the leaders were trained (or could at least easily find out). I wouldn't know on the surface if they were gay. But, for arguments sake lets say they were allowed to be avowed (hey that almost rhymes!) and advertised their unit as 100% Gay & Trained and proud of it!

I couldn't answer on the surface. Given only these two choices what I would proceed to do is to ask the untrained Scout leaders why they were untrained. Running a great program and being untrained while rare are not 100% mutually exclusive. I'd ask the other unit why they had 100% homosexual leaders (both male and female??). Was it because of the charter organization? Did it effect their program? Why do they feel the need to advertise?

I'd base my decision dependent on the answers. In other words, program delivery would be my litmus test so to speak.

Not posed in the question was my son's preference so I won't attempt to provide an answer to that.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Ok since were really answering the question

I suspect that many of you live in communities that a gay person would not come within 1000 miles of. I dont. Although I dont live in the big city we do have a large number of gays in our community. They live the scout law with much more regularity than does the heterosexual community. Contrary to what many of you may think, they do not have Leprosy.

Although it would mean greater vigilance on my part, I think I would choose the gay, trained leaders. There is no doubt in my mind that these folks would run an outstanding program.

In all we do today with our children, we exercise greater vigilance at all times. So what's the difference whether Im watching out for what youll do to my son vs. what someone else will to my son. I still have to watch!

Sorry Ed I have to do this.... Would you call Catholic Priests a good roll model? Would you call a BSA executive from the National office a good role model? Would you call a Rock Star a good role model?

How about a philandering ex President of the United States, would you call him a good role model?

Stereotyping is a thing of the past, our culture, our society, and our way of life have moved past that era. We know longer trust the clergy simply because they wear the robes, and we no longer distrust those who are different than we simply because of their difference.

It's time to move on.

Now I am curious foto,

Why is it you don't say all the Presidents as a collective you only single out the one who you feel was a bad role model, yet you group all priests and not just the few that did wrong.

Why is it that you see all Catholic priests as guilty, but only the one president?

Interesting.

Since sexuality has no place in scouting, I fail to see what difference an adults biology would make in his or her abilities to lead a unit.

On the other hand, I shudder to think of a scout unit led by untrained adults. (But that wouldn't even be scouting, would it; it would just be a bunch of kids and adults who like to go camping now and then.)