Bob,

We're getting too far afield from my original comment, which was simply that if, say, in the case of a child abuse problem in a unit, BSA could be sued, and the local unit could be sued as well, even tho the BSA insurance is supposed to provide a "shield" of sorts. That was all.

Regards the "deep pockets" and BSA, my comment about popcorn and such was not a criticism of BSA, just a response to your comment about BSA having the biggest pockets because of the number of employees they have. I stand corrected on who gets the popcorn money, but that's really unrelated to my original thought about who could get sued.

I do know that it's an issue because lawyers for the church that charters us have brought up that very issue, so it's not entirely conjecture.

'Nuff said on this, I hope :-)?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read your post Bob and it's too late to edit it. And I wasn't answering for you just rendering my opinion.

I have answered the question. So far, you haven't. Was my opinion incorrect?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

SemperParatus

You must be viewing a different thread than this one when you came up with your poll numbers.

I came up with these numbers.

9 Stay

4 Quit

2 Stay but they are assuming that the unit or CO can make there own joining requirements.

1 Asking for clarification on the joining requirements.

So lets split the 2 that are assuming, and the one asking for clarification would be quit.

So that makes

10 stay

6 quit

In other words 60% would quit.

I am amazed that any leaders would think it would be okay for scouts to go on a campout with Mernley Leroy trying to convice them that there is no God! These young men are a very impression age, and they do not need a person like that as a role model.

"You must be viewing a different thread than this one when you came up with your poll numbers."

No, Dan. I am viewing this thread and I can read and count just fine. BTW, did you answer? or are you still punting 'with need more information'.

I guess math is not my strong suit either! OPPS.

SemperParatus

Yes, I did answer.

In my last post, I was the one waiting for more info before deciding, but since there was no more info, I had to make a decision.

But I will still like to hear from your hypothetical NEWS FLASH if there is an local option, on how that would/could work.

DUG

This thread is not about atheists!? I think you need to reread the thread.

If the BSA allowed atheists to join how would you keep the Merlyn Leroy's out of your troop? I do not think you legally could.

very true Dan. I apologize. But still i dont think its fair to group all atheists to be represented by Merlyn LeRoy just as it would be unfair to have Dahlmer represent homosexuals or Douglas Smith to represent all Scout leaders.

Dug

Do you not think that atheists are not going to try to convert scouts to there way of thinking? Think about an atheists being a Den Leader, working with the same scouts for 4 years. Think about an atheist on the top of Baldy with a group of scouts, telling them that this is not Gods country!

No matter how hard we try not to instill our beliefs in these young men, we leave them with a bit of ourselves after every meeting with them.