• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prairie Scouter, You have much to learn about the BSA . There is no national liabibility insuruer with deep pockets. The BSA is self-insured. Any fines paid by the BSA in liability cases comes directly from the assets of the BSA. If you are unwilling to buy uniform pants due to price, then you would not be willing to pay the membership fee the BSA would have to charge to buy liability protection from an insurance provider for every adult.

That is why you need to follow the bold printing the G2SS, If you expect the BSA to pay your bill you had better be playing by their rules.

It is estimated the Sun will become a Red Giant and consume the Earth in about...well...about the time the BSA changes it's values as described by Semper.

I would stay, and I think the foundations of scouting would still be just as strong. I agree with Dug and OGE that those who left scouting because of these two issues would have to do some deep intraspection as to their own prejudices or intolerance. Who knows maybe even Merlyn would finally be happy with the BSA. The reality is that the "reverent" part of scouting is so firmly entrenched I do not see that changing soon. However in another thread a while back it was discussed that the 12th point of the scout law was added to the BSA program and was not part of Baden Powells original program, or is it included in most other countries scout program. You scout historians can clarify those facts.

I agree with Semper when he states "I do not do scouting for the religious experience.", and neither do I, or most of us I would bet. Since religious intolerance is so rampant in the world today, eliminating this requirement from the BSA would keep the program purer to the original intent of Baden Powell's concept of scouting.

Bob says:

It is estimated the Sun will become a Red Giant and consume the Earth in about...well...about the time the BSA changes it's values as described by Semper.

Semper didn't ask how likely it was, he asked what the reader would do if it happened. Evidently Bob chooses not to participate in this hypothetical exercise. I have opined in the past on what I thought Bob would do if the BSA changed to local option on gays (not atheists), and he got all upset at me, so I won't do it again. I wouldn't want to get Bob upset.

Of course, all this is leaving aside the fact that the BSA policy on gays has nothing to do with the BSA's "values", but I think I have discussed that a few times (a few dozen times?) before.

This is easy because the situation is still distant. Maybe another poll should be started because I don't want to hijack this from Semper, but what if the Scoutmaster announced he is gay. Do you want him to be your sons role model? Would it be OK if he brought his life partner?

Barry

EagleDad - even if the Scoutmaster did announce he was gay, why would that take away from any of the intrinsic safeguards practiced and taught in the BSA?

As for role models, may be more of a subjective question and would depend on what role model the boy has to begin with.

But how would their sexual orientation become an issue? I might ask the same question if it related to atheist and agnostics (which is my "hangup")?

As much as this forum may have strong political view points, I believe the boys we lead need to understand rather than ostercize alternative view points from "traditional" thinking.

As for the partner situation, if you are referring to the potential of any improprieties, why would that be tolerated any more than married couple situations?

How are two dads, or two moms in the same tent going to be perceived any diffently than same sex partners.

All still would need to abide by the training provided by BSA as suggested in Semper's original posting.

However, Bob got me again with the Red Sun thing...it just is not going to happen im my lifetime and I need to accept some viewpoints will be vigorously challenged and accepted contrary to my own...

Lets see...Well first I would have to find a new home for the troop....then I would have to do some serious recruiting as we would loose about 50 to 60% of our scouts...just on the homosexual issue alone...sad but true if I gage our families well...

Personally, after finding a new meeting place..(by the way SemperP, in your dream, does BSA also pick up rent and utilities or do the homosexuals and atheists fund those items?- something to think about ...seeing as how Churches VFWs and American Legion's etc., provide a large % of meeting halls!)...I'd keep on scouting...

Scouting has a lot to offer besides God and Sexual orientation but thankfully, I don't see your 'dream' becoming one of our new nightmares...

but yearly I have to encourage VERY RELUCTANT young families to send their boys to Summercamp all because they are worried that two deep is not enough!

And then to follow up your question...with one I 'posited' before...

Is it(?), or will it be fair to cause a large number of families, Churches and others to withdraw from scouting in order to Validate a very few members of our society?... So 'they' can feel good, we make others (already in our program) feel bad??? Interesting 'ethical' choice is it not?

Eagledad, i wouldnt care.

I dont know about the rest of you, but as a strait male i dont really talk to young boys about hetero sex or sexual activities of any hetero nature nor do i push heterosexuality on them. So why should people feel homosexuals would so forcefully try to impress homosexuality on kids?

I would also like to point out that while it is possible that during the expansion into the Red Giant phase, the Sun will consume the Earth, many physicists feels that instead, the physical changes brought onto the Solar System by such a transformation will actually jar the Earth from its orbit, thus causing it to skim off the edge of the Red Giant Sun and thus enter deeper into space as a frozen, burned crisp of a planet. Luckily for humanity, during the Red Giant phase, some of Saturn's moons will be raised to a temperature that should be suitable for human life. This will only last for a few million years though.

What scouting's policy on gays will be on that particular moon is anybody's guess.

"Will it be fair to cause a large number of families, Churches and others to withdraw from scouting in order to Validate a very few members of our society."

I just want to know what YOU would do, not what you think others may or may not do. Thank you for your response...look forward to scoutin' with ya!

Many folks here have very strong opinions on these two issues. My question is intended to ascertain just how strong those opinions may be if it came down to a personal choice between the BSA policies and one's personal opinions with respect to membership requirements.

Bob would stay as long as National endorsed it!

I for one would be gone. I would start an organization similar that has the same membership requirements the BSA currently has. I would recruit those Scouts & Scouters who felt the same way. I'd even consider using the name "Merlyn's Men" as a name!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed

I did not answer the question and you have no right to try and answer it in my name. You are welcome to give your opinion. but you are not welcome to make up mine.

I would ask that you edit your post(This message has been edited by Bob White)