I was merely responding as to whether or not agnostics see the need.

To follow up on Vicki's comment, it is a fine point, but maintenance of a view that existence of a higher power can't be proven does not automatically reject the possibility that there IS a higher power. And agnostics know this.

Such a view is merely an admission of an inability by the person holding the view. It is the essence of the difference between science and religion - one of the reasons that Huxley coined the term to apply to himself.

As far as helping others learn reverence...what better example than an adult sincerely trying to do the same thing? Helping others to learn is not the same thing as telling them what to learn.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term agnostic whether a theistic or atheistic one denotes somoeone who does not believe a diety can be proven to exist. Hundreds af millions of people and the BSA disagree. To believe and still not fully comprehend the state of being of God, or Gods actions and designs is one thing, but you cannoy fulfill your resonsibility as a BSA leader if you cannot come to terms with the fact of existence of God.

Blade,

I want to apologize for my statements that offended you and anyone else in your Church.

I was attempting to say that I know little about the present day Catholic Church but what I saw from a distance of the Pope was that he was a great person.

Your assumptions about me in regards to the Evangelicals, etc., missed your intended mark. I have many other failings that you may wish to elaborate on.

FB

FB,

apology gladly accepted and any offense taken is forgotten.

I didn't mean to imply you have anything against Evangelicals, I was merely drawing an analogy to my former prejudice and that I was able to overcome it by learning about my fellow Christians. Sorry for the misunderstanding and for my poor wording.

No, BW, I don't need to study each and every religion in the world to respect them, I have respect and tolerance because anything else would be a sin against the human dignity of their practitioners.

However, knowing a bit about other faiths, Christian and non-Christian alike, helps me to understand other perspectives and deepen that respect, foster understanding and help me to live harmoniously with my neighbor. I know next to nothing about Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism or Zoroastrianism, but I respect their spiritual quest. If I took the time to learn more about each faith, I'm sure I'd gain an understanding of each groups perspective and outlook and reach a deeper level of respect.

Blade:

I would have hoped that would be your attitude but you sent some very confusing signals such as ". I have chosen to learn about what Evangelicals believe so that I can respect them "

Then you say "I don't need to study each and every religion in the world to respect them."

I would hope for the later but you also said the former.

BW

Ill-chosen words in the former post. I guess I'm not infallible like you, BW.

Funny, you are the only poster to this thread who misunderstood my meaning even though I could have chosen a better way to express is. Perhaps you aren't infallible after all.

Sometimes phrasing makes all the difference.

Rather than saying, "I guess I'm not infallible like you, BW."

Why not say, "I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear to you." It could also have been prhased as "I don't think you understood what I meant . . . "

Those wouldn't have been personal attacks.

Unc.