Prejudice will drive more away than it will draw near

Bob,

I don't know for sure, but now I'm kind of interested in finding out. I've read that "the vast majority" of other countries Scouting programs have no problem with gay leaders, but I'll see if I can find some exact figures. I'll post the answer if I'm able to find it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prarie_Scouter said, "If BSA is out of step in a large way with what is going on in other Boy Scout organizations around the world, that should at least cause us to pause and wonder if BSA is right."

You are getting close to the "everybody else is doing it" argument that I tried to use as a kid. It is better to have a set of moral principles based on the guidance of God and sift whatever comes along thru that screen.

Trevorum, I do appreciate your point regarding the 'corporate' characterstics. However, I must also defend the corporate approach because it, at least, is fickle enough to turn sharply if the bottom line goes the other way. 'Amoral' is how I describe it, but you are correct in observing that it can cut in the direction you state if the bottom line so demands.

I have ultraconservative, fundamentalist neighbors who fly the confederate flag, and express openly their opposition to civil rights (to put it mildly). I doubt they would change their views for a buck. Which is the better way?

P.S. I'm not attempting to stereotype my fundamentalist neighbors, they differ strongly on other issues. And every single one of them is absolutely right. ;)

Oops, forgot. To help Acco40 with an answer from a while back,

I've been asked if I was gay 3 times that I can remember. I've been ACCUSED twice. In every instance my response was the same.

Merlyn, of course there is no such rule, only an interpretation and a judgement as to how to respond to certain situations.

Just for the record, to follow up on my previous post, according to the Scouting for All website (which is a pro-gays in Scouting organization), they reference the World Scouting website as saying that, of 152 national Scouting organizations, 2/3 either have no policy on gays, or have a non-discrimination policy.

Snake Eater, this is a little bit different then me, as a kid, wanting to wear platform shoes because everyone else was. My point was to not simply follow in lockstep to other organizations, but on the other hand, if the majority of Scouting organizations, to which we are supposed to have a "link" and shared philosophy, are going down a different path, maybe that's something that BSA National should pause and consider.

Prarier mentioned some data retrieved from the web site of Scouting for All. We do have a spokesman for Scouting for All, Mr. Brian Westley AKA Merlyn LeRoy who posts here regularly.

Mr. Westley, would you like to comment? I believe your name is listed (I've seen it) on the Scouting for All Web Site as an (forgive me if I get the title wrong) assistant regional director.

Are you willing to take questions about Scouting for All?

Unc.