Free College Tuition for Eagle Scouts and Gold Award

Sticking my neck out again here against the magic wand of subliminal insults to the intelligence . . .

If giving Eagle Scouts/Gold Award recipients a break on tuition is unconstitutional . . .

Then isn't it amazing that the ACLU has not attacked the U.S. Marine Corps, United States Navy, US Army, or US Air Force for giving Eagle Scouts who enlist and automatic pay increase?

Does the ACLU not have the mojo to go against the Feds, or must it all start at the local and state level?

Unc.

I've been doing some more thinking about this, and I still think it can't be done the way Maryland is doing it. However, Maryland could, I think, create a scholarship that would be awarded to young men and women who have, say, "exhibited exemplary citizenship and have performed significant uncompensated service projects benefitting the community." There would be no problem with giving such an award to a young man based on the quality of his Eagle project, as long as the award could be given to non-scouts based on other service projects.

I should also point out that race and religion are different in the eyes of the courts. I'm not sure state-supported scholarships based entirely on race are constitutional, but as I understand it the current state of the law is that state universities can consider race as a factor in admission to achieve diversity, as long as it isn't the sole determinative factor and as long as there are no quotas. I've never heard of any effort by a state institution to achieve religious diversity, and I'm not at all sure it would be treated the same way--I think the courts would say there is a "wall of separation" and that the university can't consider religion in making admissions decisions.

Unc,

Are you saying the military branches hire Eagles at a higher initial salary than others?? That's interesting!!

Do you know, is it worded that specifically or do they word an explanation more along the lines Hunt is using ... "exhibited exemplary citizenship and have performed significant uncompensated service projects benefitting the community."?

Is this an historic tradition or still an active practice?

jd

I have always heard that Eagles enter the military as E-3. Got this from another bulletin board:

"Almost anything will let you enter the military as an E-3. Two years of college, signing to a longer initial enlistment, attaining Warrant Officer in the Civil Air Patrol...I wasn't aware of the Eagle Scout condition but it wouldn't surprise me."

My son's best friend enlisted in the Army and started as an E-4 because he had a 4 year degree and signed a 6 year contract. (Stupid on so many levels, but that's another discussion...5 years later he has a chest full of ribbons, two tours in Iraq, but is still an E-4).

John:

I do know it's a current fact. I'm not sure of the exact wording or who else gets the pay increase.

I wasn't aware the military even let people with 4 year degrees enlist. I tried to do just that in the late 1980's, but was told I was over-educated. Of course, we weren't at war at the time. You actually can learn something each day! ;)

Unc.

With today's high-tech equipment and training, they actually prefer people with degrees. I recently read something put out by the MCPON (Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy) that to be competitive for promotion to E-7, a bachelor's degree is necessary and for E-8 and E-9, most have Masters' degrees. I advised him to go in as an Officer, but his goal was to get MP training and have them pay off his college loans and get out as soon as possible. They kept their promises, but he's hated every minute of it. The good thing is that, with his military training, he'll have no trouble getting hired in his field, unlike my two sons.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh that would be so lovely...if it were attainable.

As a Gold Awardee, and Boyfriend as an Eagle Scout, this would be a God-send. We're both from the same neighborhood: poor. Our houses were built to sustain mill-workers. (Anyone who's ever lived in Western PA knows what I'm talking about) My father, whom I live with, works manual labor, and has, for years and his fifty now. College is barely a tangible thing. While my Eagle Scout has been working his butt off to get a full ride scholarship, I was an average student, so my scholarships were few. I'm stuck at a community college until I can gather some more. Again, a free-ride would be a God-send. *sigh*