Scouting on Military Bases

Being a Military scouter I want to clear up the statement the Scouting is not alowed on military bases any longer. This is not true. Many scouting units which were sponsored by military organizations have lost their charter organization though. What does this mean? This means a military unit can no longer sponsor us. THis does not mean we must dissolve our Troop or Pack. What we had to do was put out a call for a new sponsor and choose between the 6 organizations that stepped forward to help. We chose the VFW.

We still have all of our meeting in the same building we always did. The military post can not deny us access to any services which it provides to other non-profit organizations. As an example if they let the Chapel youth group use vehicles for a ski trip they must let us use them also. If the outdoor recreation dept. gives the spouses coffee group a discount on ski equipment, we get the same discount. If our military organization gives soldiers days off to attend school field trips and help with vacation bible school, well guess what, they have to let soldiers off to help with Boy Scout summer camp.

The decision to pull our charter from the military unit has not hurt us in any way. It may have actually helped us because now we do not have to meet our Chartered Organization rep along a tank trail to get leader applications signed ( he was always in the field training.) Our new rep is a retired gentleman who actually showed up for our last Court Of Honor.

I can not speak for the Scout Troop mentioned in the post I"m replying to but I do know of several Troops who had to take a year off and join with civilian troops because all of the leaders are deployed to Iraq. The spouses left behind just couldn't pull the troop together so they did what was best for the Scouts.

So please do not think that our military bases are not friendly to scouts. I have been in many officers offices (ha ha) and have seen an Eagle Scout award hanging on the wall proudly displayed with all of their military awards.

Amen katydid!

As you stated the only changes are Chartered Organizations. Scouting will still flourish on military bases. Let these folks who want to litigate go for it. Scouting will prevail.

As a retired military dude, I salute you and all those military folks (this includes active duty, spouses, retired, and supporters of our military) who support the greatest youth organization in the country.