I Just Don't Get It!!

And I have an Alferd Packer t-shirt, one of my favorites right along with the FloriBama mullet toss and the gorgeous red-head saying, well...can't repeat that here. But the A.P. t-shirt came with a long list of culinary themes from Alferd Packer days of yesteryear. And who sponsors Alferd Packer Day? Why it is the U. of Colorado Food Service, who else!? What a great sense of humor!

I greatly enjoyed the few moments when the Robber Barons almost came to be. But I do really like the slugs. After all, the invertebrates are terribly under-represented as mascots.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after looking at Rooster's quiz, I have to beg forgiveness. I guess one problem with useless trivia is that it becomes even more useless over time. It looks like a few other schools would now fit the criteria (St. Johns and Syracuse at the least).

I stand corrected....

Awhile back the University of Hawaii was known as the rainbow warriors, they even had a nifty rainbow on their helmets, then the rainbow became to be used as a symbol of non-scouting behavior. Now they are just the Warriors and the rainbow is no where to be seen.

On a nod to political correctness, growing up in Illinois, during the high school basketball tournament I always marveled that the Pekin, Illinois team was known as "the Chinks". I hope most here would agree that changing the name to the Dragons in 1981 was the right thing to do, or does anybody think a high school should be able to call itself the chinks?

Of course not.

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: chink

Pronunciation: 'chi[ng]k

Function: noun

Etymology: probably alteration of Middle English chine crack, fissure

1 : a small cleft, slit, or fissure

2 : a weak spot that may leave one vulnerable

3 : a narrow beam of light shining through a chink

then again

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Chink

n 1: offensive terms for a person of Chinese descent [syn: Chinaman] 2: a narrow opening as e.g. between planks in a wall 3: a short light metallic sound [syn: click, clink] v 1: make or emit a high sound; "tinkling bells" [syn: tinkle, tink, clink] 2: fill the chinks of, as with caulking 3: make cracks or chinks in; "The heat checked the paint" [syn: check]

The point is the term PC is pretty much reviled as being stupid and moronic, but there is a basis for it. It wasnt that long ago comedians would make careers out of playing drunks (see Foster Brooks)because society doesnt see anything funny about alcoholism anymore. You wont see a Black face Minstrel Show anymore, becuase society doesnt think that white people paiting their face black and acting as Steppin' Fetchit charactors is all that entertaining. I remember comedy sketches about being in special class, riding the short bus, etc and now thats seen as offensive,,, Society changes, and sometimes they get it right

At Alferd Packer's first trial the judge reportedly said, "There was seven Democrats in Hinsdale County and you ate five of them." H'mmm, maybe that explains some of the red states.

Wyomingi, did you notice that OGE is, ...how do I put this..., one of the offenders?