I Just Don't Get It!!

Well, while we're sidetracked on marching bands, I would like to say that the Stanford Marching Band doesn't require it's members to play instruments. It's members don't even have to go to Stanford. I've seen people banging on kegs, washboards, cardboard boxes or just running around. And they're still considered an NCAA marching band in the Pac-10. Come to think of it, they don't even march.

Not that this has anything to do with atheism. Or maybe it does since the band recently got into trouble for making fun of poligemy during a halftime show against BYU.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stanford's band is truly in a class by itself, and I use the words "band" and "class" with some unease, especially in the same sentence.

(aside: In 1972, the student body voted to replace the mascot "Indians" with the "Robber Barons". This was vetoed by the suits of course, so the kids voted to become the Stanford Banana Slugs (6", bright yellow, & slimy). Again vetoed. The forces of conformity finally won and they became the Stanford Cardinals.)

>>No, it requires THE GOVERNMENT to accept everybody. Public schools are agents of the government. >Would you prefer giving public schools the authority to create, say, whites-only football teams (even though non-whites are also taxed to pay for the school)? Refuse admission to Jews (even though Jews are also taxed to pay for the school)?

Who comes up with this stuff?

A) Inane college students who will do and say anything to buck the system

B) Inane college professors who intellectualize everything including college mascots

C) Inane college administrators who cave to every political pressure

D) Inane college alumni who are trying to relive the 60s

E) All of the above

Gee Rooster, if you don't "buck the system" while you are in college, then when do you? I think everybody needs to buck the system at some point in their lives and I can't think of a better time to do it than when one is in college. It's a luxury that we usually don't get anymore once we have careers and families and mortgage payment and car payments and all that kind of stuff.

The slugs are Santa Cruz... Oh man, thats harsh, oh you mean the Fighting Banana Slugs...

Still the best oxymoronic College team cheer has to be exhorting the Fighting Quakers of Penn...

I don't know who remembers the Stanford "injuns" emblem. it really wasnt very flattering at all, At least the Florida State Seminoles and University of Illionis Illini portray native Americans as dignified

I remember the Injun. It was in the Aunt Jemima style of ethnic characters.

Down in LA, we were really rooting for the "Leland Stanford Jr. Robber Barons". We thought it had just the right cachet of historical authenticity...

And after all that, the school now has a tree dancing around during games. So I have to agree with Rooster that the tree is innane, but I don't think they're bucking the system or trying to look intelligent.

And is anyone going to answer EagleInKY's trivia question because I'm really curious (and too lazy to do a search of mascots)? I know for the NBA, the Jazz and the Magic are singular names.

Hmmm...a singular mascot -

Well I know there is the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Tulane Green Wave. That must be singular in light of the Pepperdine Waves. EagleInKy - is that what you were thinking? Guess not, couldn't be that easy.

Then again - there is the Fighting Irish, not the Irishes.