Religious Tolerance (or not)

Since we sorta hijacked Eisley's thread (People Eating Tasty Animals!), I thought I'd continue this thread here. I was genuinely baffled by some of the thoughts expressed. A google on "religious tolerance" showed me that some view religious tolerance as a weakness, even a sin. They are supposed to be righteously intolerant. OK. However, in re-reading the posts, it is clear that some folks also mistake tolerant for wishy-washy. I am tolerant of others but I also have strongly held beliefs.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if I'm religious tolerant or not!!

I am the product of two Irish Catholic parents and was educated in Roman Catholic schools. As a Roman Catholic I believe that my religion is the one true faith.

Up until a few years ago every easter we prayed that Jews would one day see the light.

As a person I tend to think that as far as religion goes: "To each his own." I don't push my religion on others. I have at different times supported the work of Catholic and Christen missionaries. I have seen the good work that they do, not only spreading "The Word" but also the work they have done trying to improve the living conditions in some parts of the world.

Her That Must Be Obeyed, is not Catholic, but has supported me over the years in raising our son as a Catholic.

While I do believe that there is only one God, and in my view I really do agree with Baden Powell that it is better to do good than be good.

Some time back in these forums there was a discussion about different religions and myself and another poster landed ourselves in hot water for poking fun at Druids. We were out of order and shouldn't have made fun of them.

I do think that the Roman Catholic Church under the leadership of Pope John Paul II, has done more to reach out to people of other faiths than was ever attempted in the past.

Eamonn.

Scout Sunday/Sabbath is coming up which is a good time to help boys understand the value of diversity, and tolerance for diversity. In our troop, we have scouts who are Catholic, Hindu, LDS, Buddhist, Wiccan, UU, as well as four or five denominations of Protestant.

A good definition: "Religious tolerance is not religious indifference. It is valuing the right of someone to hold beliefs which you know to be wrong"

I agree that tolerance means recognizing and respecting the right of others to hold beliefs different from yours--however, I think it's perfectly legitimate to try to persuade others that their beliefs are wrong, as long as you don't use coercive methods to do so.

Hunt, in general I agree with you. Lively debate is healthy and enjoyable. However, I hope you would also agree that an adult should never use his/her position of authority to persuade youth "that their beliefs are wrong". That is a morally repugnant abuse of power and I would liken such to brainwashing.

At a scouting event recently, a bunch of adults were sitting around the campfire discussing the meaning of life and other deep topics. Among this group was a devout Catholic, a Muslim lady, and a born-again Christian. Also, there was what I'll call a "Catholic dropout". He was raised Catholic, but has since dropped away to the point of having very little religion in his life.

After this fellow had shared his feelings about organized religion, there was some healthy debate. Of course, the Catholic fellow felt he should come back to his roots. The Christian fellow felt he needed to find Jesus Christ as his savior. At one point, the Muslim lady jumped on the Christian and Catholic fellows, telling them that they shouldn't be so closed minded, and that there are lots of faiths for him to explore. They should encourage him to seek what he needs, not what fits theirs.

I was trying my best to stay out of the debate. (I'm a devout Christian, but I try to stay out of these battles.) I came up with a rebuttal, but I chose to stay quiet. I wanted to make a point that we had honored her religious values all the time we had been together. She was not allowed to touch us, so we made adjustments to our activities. She couldn't eat the same food, so we made adjustments to our menus. She had special schedules that she had to be on, so at times she wasn't their to help out with her group. In my mind, we were being tolerant of her religion. However, our religion tells us that we have one God and one Savior. I cannot, as a faithful follower of Christ, encourage someone to seek his answers somewhere else. In my heart and mind, there is only one answer for him.

She needed to be tolerant of our point of view. In my mind, when it became time for her to be tolerant of our beliefs, she could not be.

I actually find this to be very similar to what we are seeing in the culture wars today. Christians, when they practice the giving/humanitarian side of Chrisitanity are upheld as finally doing what they are supposed to do. And, if they proselitize (which we are also taught to do), we are critized as being closed minded.

"Religious tolerance is not religious indifference. It is valuing the right of someone to hold beliefs which you know to be wrong"

however, I think it's perfectly legitimate to try to persuade others that their beliefs are wrong, as long as you don't use coercive methods to do so.

I agree. This is an excellent definition. Nevertheless, Hunts assertion is no less valid. A Christians right to proselytize does not violate the aforementioned definition of tolerance. In fact, those who try to silent the Christian are being religiously intolerant themselves. With that said, I have no problem with the concept of debate. The content of a message is fair game. But everyone, including Christians, should fight for their right to deliver a message.

To EagleInKY, I can only say, AMEN brother!

(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

I agree that an adult should not use a position of authority (i.e. as a Scout leader) to proselytize for a particular religion. That, to me, is coercive. I also agree that in general Scouting is not the place for these discussions (at least in front of the youth). However, the campfire discussion EagleinKY discusses seems to me a good example of how people have difficulty distinguishing between tolerance of other beliefs and "acceptance of other beliefs as equally valid."

Recently in our area Jews for Jesus (or a similar group, I don't recall) ran a campaign to try to persuade Jews to accept Christianity. The reaction from Jewish groups was generally to treat this as an improper affront and an attack--rather than engaging the campaign on the merits. I thought this was another example of mistaking tolerance and acceptance.

Using your position in Scouting to try to persuade youth or other unit adults to your way of thinking is a violation of the rules and methods of scouting as well as being a form of religious intolerance. Rooster, you are constantly degrading people on this forum who disagree with you and that too is intolerance.

Everyone in this country has a right to believe and worship as they desire and for those beliefs to be respected, even if you disagree with them. Scouting is not the proper place to try to evangalize or persuade someone to a faith other than what they already practice. Any scout leaders who use their position to do so are required to be dismissed by the CO.

Semper,

I agree, as long as you also let him share with you that "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His prophet."

If the two of you don't agree, then religious tolerance and mutual respect would suggest that you both to move on to other topics.