It's De Ja Vu all over again

To respond to the culinary question, I have eaten shark but don't much care for it. The reason is that shark flesh is usually loaded with urea and for some reason, I dislike the odor during preparation and the taste. From the website:

http://www.sidwell.edu/us/science/vlb7/dissectlab/conclusion/excretory.html

"As a marine organism, the shark has to combat water loss due to osmosis. It has a large glomerulus, and so it cannot limit water loss by processing a small amount of urine like marine bony fish. Instead, the shark has developed a high tolerance for its own nitrogenous wastes in blood and cytoplasm. Urea and trimethylamine oxide are kept in the blood in high concentrations to keep the solute concentration of blood plasma high, so that the blood can contain amounts of salts (Na+ and Cl-) normal to vertebrates, and still be isotonic to sea water. The sharks tubules reabsorb both urea and trimethylamine oxide."

Bony fish are therefore quite different and I tend to eat them with great reverence.

"Is this a statement of faith or an EEO policy? Sure theyre tolerant. In fact, theyre so tolerant I challenge you to find something that they dont tolerant(sic)."

Rooster7, I think each UU member would have to answer this challenge as an individual but the organization is reasonably clear that they don't tolerate bigotry or discrimination. Most UU members are human beings just like you (except for the occasional space alien) and they share most of the human emotions. In my experience, intolerant persons are welcome to attend and even participate in open and honest discussions. However, when they express intolerance, they are taken to task in an open and honest manner.

I am curious about the statement, however, "I just cant stomach lying in any shape or form." It seems difficult to square this with support for GW Bush as he has perpetrated what has to be one of the worst lies of this century.

SemperParatus, I've said it before...I think OGE is perfect.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shark even from a distance looks like it tastes bad. The ocean is full of them and they attack any object that gets in its way. Their aggression is without bounds and they will eat anything, such as, garbage and each other. Now we find they are full of urea also. They smell bad when cooked so they would not make much of a meal. They are rather a useless fish. I suppose if one were to catch a shark, it would be best to be hit in the head and throw it back in for food for the other sharks. Is anybody opposed to bad behavior towards sharks?

FB

Fuzzy Bear, I considered writing something about this but I felt the post was getting too long. Sharks are an important component of the marine ecosystem. If I were to catch one while fishing for something else, I would merely release it. I know of no reason to choose to needlessly kill an organism whether it is a shark or a snake or a tree. As a matter of fact, I consider wanton waste to be a violation of the outdoor code, the part about being conservation-minded.

Right now I feel a lot of love in this room, and while I would love to bask in the glow of your compliments, if I really was as good as you say I would have the perfect comment to quell the turmoil and I am afraid I don't have it. The only advice I have is perhaps we all say a prayer for each other and move on to other threads, at the very least, say the prayer

PS,

Your words have moved me to look at sharks in a new light. You are so right about not hurting any living thing. It is best to just let them go. Being conservation minded is the very best policy. Thank you for your help in this matter.

FB

How do you feel about lobsters?

The one time we cooked lobster at home, we were driving home from the wharf with the live critters in a plastic bag of water in a big grocery sack. My wife peered into the sack, looked at the two lobsters for a minute and said, "They look like Mutt and Jeff." I gaped at her in disbelief and gasped, "You don't name something you're going to eat!". But they were tasty anyway...

fortunatly for PETA... Shark can be very fine eating...most bad culinary encouters are due to the poor handling and care of the shark after it is killed. To enjoy, you have to immediately bleed the beast from both ends: Gill area arteries and tail area...the shark needs to be comletely 'dressed' SOON after the bleeding and iced immediately. Soak a steak in orange juice overnight and grill with spices of your choice...it is very good...and has a firm texture...

but perhaps if we left the sharks alone they could eat more PETA's...????

BUT, let's not belittle any religion...to sharks, they all taste like chicken.

Trevorum, I am probably in a minority but I don't much care for lobster either. They're not bad, just not worth the price. I'd much rather eat oysters, crabs, shrimp, or crawfish (that'd be 'crayfish' to all you yankees ;) ). When I was very young, my friends and I would roam the flats after dark at low tide out in Charlotte Harbor, dipping shrimp. We'd eat 'em raw. Then I found out they had guts. But when in Louisiana, I still like to get a bucket of crawfish, and then eat tail and suck head. Doesn't get much better than that!

• 7 years later...

I confess I don't hunt but have done some fishing. But at one point in my life did spend a fair amount of time off the New England coast diving for lobsters. It was kind of a high tech approach to catch frogs, or other critters as a kid. They could be crafty, hide in cracks, under rocks, etc. and in open water not easy to catch. But once caught and of legal size they were doomed.

Talk about repressed aggression. We would boil them alive and then rip them apart with our bare hands, pliers, hammers, nut crackers etc. to get at the sweet juicy flesh and consume them....with melted butter.

SA