It's De Ja Vu all over again

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE - Did you not see where, after pointing out where he disagrees with our faith, R7 then said "I just cant stomach lying in any shape or form." This pretty baldly insults the entire UU faith and all its adherents.

It's like someone pointing out the numerous contradictions and flaws in his belief system and then saying "I can't stomach cognitive dissonance in any shape or form."

Religious tolerance is a guiding principle that America was founded on where Protestants (*the word is steeped in being a heretic; one who denies the one true faith and the one true God) found their new home and a place to worship as they believed.

Religious tolerance is a principle that is a standard for being a good citizen (*one of the goals of Scouting) and for being a good Scout.

Religious tolerance is one of the basic principles of the Unitarian Universalists.

FB

I have read many posts in the Issues and politics forum and have reached the conclusion that the BSA needs a comparative religion merit badge. Comments like Buddhists pray to Buddha and How can a person swear to uphold this 12th point of the Scout Law and still be polytheistic? show how little we understand each other.

What do Unitarians believe? With a little help from google I found the following on the Unitarian Universalist Association web site (www.uua.org).

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

As the philosopher Thomas Carlyle said "The religion of a man is not the creed he professes but his life - what he acts upon, and knows of life, and his duty in it. A bad man who believes in a creed is no more religious than the good man who does not.

Religious tolerance is one of the basic principles of the Unitarian Universalists.

Religious tolerance is easy when your religion has no standard but tolerance.

A bad man who believes in a creed is no more religious than the good man who does not.

Away from God, there is no such thing as a good man. By ourselves, we are all - bad men. Through God, any man can be redeemed.

From the UUA website:

The Association declares and affirms its special responsibility, and that of its member societies and organizations, to promote the full participation of persons in all of its and their activities and in the full range of human endeavor without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, age, or national origin and without requiring adherence to any particular interpretation of religion or to any particular religious belief or creed.

Is this a statement of faith or an EEO policy? Sure theyre tolerant. In fact, theyre so tolerant I challenge you to find something that they dont tolerant.

Sharks feed on fish, including other sharks, sea lions, birds, sea otters, sea turtles, and even indigestible garbage. Some will eat practically anything. The stomachs of captured specimens have been found to contain other sharks, fish, porpoises, turtles, beef bones, dogs, tin cans, pieces of metal, burlap bags, and garbage.

Anybody care for shark?

Does the BSA define reverent other than believing in a greater power, no it does not. This is because a belief in God is not restricted to the narrow definition of Rooster7 or anyone else, any concept of God is way beyond humanitys limited ability to comprehend except on a superficial level. The Bible was written to give us a very basic human insight to the power of God, not to define him, as are the Koran and other major religious books. After two theology degrees and 15 years as an ordained minister I have seen religious intolerance as violent today as it was a thousand years ago. Instead of trying to force God into a denominational box we should embrace him in all his glory. Can we still hold to our particular religious beliefs, sure, as long as we understand that God is not Lutheran, Catholic, Jewish, Buddist, etc. but the Creator of all humanity who share equally in his creation and promises. A scout is reverent should not only mean a belief in a higher power but also is understanding and tolerant of the beliefs of others. Sorry for the sermon.

Boleta,

Im afraid you have me pegged. Or rather, I hope you do. I will gladly accept and embrace the label of fanatic so long as youre referencing my zeal for God.

BadenP,

Does the BSA define reverent other than believing in a greater power, no it does not. This is because a belief in God is not restricted to the narrow definition of Rooster7 or anyone else,

I dont believe I provided a definition of God. Please tell me, what definition of God did I provide, which you feel is narrow? As to the BSA, I dont believe they have an exclusive understanding as to what constitutes being reverent.

The Bible was written to give us a very basic human insight to the power of God, not to define him, as are the Koran and other major religious books.

Is there nothing else to be learned from 66 books, 1,189 chapters, 31,173 verses, and 773,692 words?

BTW, I dont care how many degrees you have in theology or how many years youve been ordained. If you want to impress me, use Gods Word to make your point not your diplomas.

Furthermore, tolerance is the ability to live in harmony with others who disagree with you, which I am fully capable of, and practice regularly. However, I will not remain silent on matters of importance, or defer my beliefs, simply to avoid the possibility of someone taking offense. This is not a sign of tolerance, but one of indifference.

For my friend Rooster, if it is scripture you want then try Psalm 139, it answers your questions and shows that God is not your own personal God but the God of all. Remember even the apostles questioned Jesus about others doing good deeds in his name and demanded their condemnation, instead Jesus embraced their actions and he cured all who came to him no matter their background.

Rooster may you find that same peace someday instead of the intolerance you show to others who believe differently from your interpretation of scripture.

Rooster professes to respect only one faith and one book - and he uses the Bible as a weapon against those who disagree with him. He need not listen to them merely slap them with a snippet of verse while looking down on them. Those unworthy of a snippet are simply insulted.

firstpusk,

If you want to start a fight about religion, start one with me. Rooster7 is way out of your league & will eat you alive! He is a Christian (like myself) who has proclaims a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior - Jesus Christ. I have done the same. However, R7 is more well versed in the Scriptures than I am.

The Bible is not a weapon. If you consider it as such, then you just don't understand it.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

For some reason, I am reminded of a Roundtable I attended several years ago. The speaker was a Scouter whom we all respected for his thorough knowledge of Scouting and his very clear dedication to our youth. I think the topic was chaplains aides.

Anyway, this fellow made a very bald statement - which it was clear that he knew for a fact, that Catholics were not Christians. There was a moment of dead silence as we all looked at each other in disbelief. Did he really say that?? Then a riot of "What a minute!", and "How can you say that?"

The speaker looked at us as if we had doubted a Great Truth and then started to tell us exactly why Catholics could not be considered to be Christians. Well, all the Catholics were incensed and insulted and the rest of us were amazed at his narrow definitions of Truth.

After some back-and-forth, we all eventually agreed to acknowledge that we had different opinions on the subject , that it was impolite to criticize another persons beliefs, and we got back to the program. Today, we get along great. I hope he'll get his Beaver this year. I have no less respect for him because of his beliefs, because he was willing to acknoweldge that other people had opposing beliefs that they also knew to be True.