BSA's Response to Southern Asia Disaster

http://www.scouting.org/media/tsunami/index.html

I check the national site out frequently, and the above link is new. I am glad the BSA is taking action to help out and has provided ways for others to help, and I thought my fellow Scouters would want to see this if you haven't already. What a tragedy this was, and the news in the past hour or so gave new warnings of tsunamis along coastal areas. The news to date is simply overwhelming, and my prayers are lifted for those living in the effected areas and those with loved ones there.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on the news last night that Boy Scouts - I believe it was in India - are gathering clothes up from people across the country and delivering them to the stricken areas.

EDITED PART->

Indonesia has the largest scouting organization (larger than the USA). I would think that scouts will play a big role in the disaster recovery and cleanup. I tried hitting their website and it was down.(This message has been edited by EagleInKY)

nldscout

Because the people that need the help are not the ones that makes the decision to help us. They are just plain old folks like us, BUT we have the ability to help, most of them do and did not.

nldscout, I will agree with you there. I was reading a thing the other day about the UN saying the US didnt do enough!!!

We only spend twice what everybody else spends combined to aid others!!! Maybe it's somebody else's turn to step up to the plate.

PS.. will be moved to Issues and Politics b/c it could turn into just that...

nldscout and Hops,

I too am tired of all the strife given to the US because we either do too much in the world or too little. But criticism comes naturally with the role we've assumed as world protector. I'm also very thankful that the US has stepped up and assumed such a role because with our vast industry and economy, we can help more than anyone else.

However, I feel your responses of "Let someone else do the work then" are misguided. This action (or inaction) would only hurt the thousands who are suffering in Southeast Asia. It would give more ammunition to anti-American sentiment in the world. Personally, I don't care what people think of the US as long as I am convinced we are doing what's best.

Zahnada,

you said this will give more ammunition for Anti-american sentiment.

Well I can tell you that after touring the world courtesy of the US Army for 26 yrs, it doesn't matter how much we do. First its never enough and they will turn on us just as soon as it suits them. If you choose to donate thats your bussiness, I chose to support local groups like FOS and local groups. I do object though to sending my tax money to countries that last week were criticizing us for want them to stop terrorist now are standing there with thier hand out wanting money.

wyomingi

A scout is generous, friendly, kind, helpful

I choose to be all these things only locally where I see the appreciation for my efforts.

nldscout,

I think we're pretty much in agreement that the United States is in a no-win situation with regards to much of our foreign aid policy. And both of us are free to donate wherever we feel is more important. But to me, this current situation in SE Asia goes beyond money and it goes beyond world perception of the US. I've heard that they estimate 116,000 dead now and that many more will die because of illness and starvation. I feel as members of the human race, the United States (and every other nation) should be rushing to the aid of their fellow man. I hope the US turns a deaf ear to the criticism and continues to help those in need.

"I choose to be all these things only [when] I see the appreciation for my efforts."

I didn't realize that the Scout Law had conditions for application. You are in effect saying that you are only a scouter when you expect that others will demonstrate appreciation for your actions.

The true measure of a scout or scouter is what he does when he expects no recompense or even appreciation. The Scout Law is rooted in being, not a utilitarian expectation of gratitude or reward.

"A Scout IS..." NOT "A Scout does...ONLY WHEN..."

Anyone who subscribes to the latter is no scout or scouter.

Regarding the matter of foreign nations, you are probably right that it does not matter how much we do. We will always be criticized. The question is, however, do we help our neighbors (whether individuals, families, or nations) because it is the right thing to do or because we expect something in return?

So I guess in your lowlife opinion I am not a scouter?

Maybe my attitude comes from seeing too many times my tax money going to countries who the next time you look are criticizing us for being rich and overbearing. Well too bad, I say one hand washes the other. I work hard for my money and pay a heck of a lot of taxes that go to "NEEDY" countries that only stab us in the back when we turn around. How many of these countries have anything set aside to help themselves. You can probably count them on one hand.

Nope, Self help is the best thing for a persons dignity!

nldscout,

I rarely if ever speak harshly to anyone of this forum. I will try to keep this as nice as possible. I thank you for your service to our country. I'm sorry that your experiences have led you to have little compassion for your fellow man. I do not believe that you understand the oath and law and as a result probably should not be in a leadership position in scouting. You have taken an OATH to obey the scout law and to help other people at ALL times. Attitudes are infectious, and I wouldn't want my son following your example.

Let me ask which you would prefer. Our troop is coming down the highway on an outing and we see you dragging your bloody self across the road from a wreck. Should we stop and help you or should I tell the boys that "self help is the best thing for a persons dignity" and that if you can drag youself 100 miles to a hospital that you'll be a better man for it?

Ya know your another one SR540 whose lowlife opinion don't mean squat. I know exactly what the scout oath and law mean. And I help other people, but where does it say I have to help everyone. You are free to donate all you want to anything you want and I will never criticize you for doing it. But what we are talking about is our taxpayer money being sent to governments that at every chance criticizes the US.

See your example of an auto accident is so far off base its pathetic. My question still remains how many of these countries that have thier hand out now offered anything after 9-11? Answer that one!