Petition congress

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By chartering a BSA unit endorses the BSA not religion. The religious implication is a real stretch! And you could argue that by not sponsoring a BSA unit the government would be discriminating based ON religion!

If the ACLU is going to go this route they better get "In God We Trust" off all the currency, stop the President & other elected officials from swearing their oath on a bible & make sure the menorahs are removed from ALL public buildings & grounds along with all the Christian symbols! Including Christmas trees! If they don't then they are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

Let's be objective for a minute.

Has the BSA argued in court cases defending their joining requirements that they are a religious organization or not? The anser is yes, they have.

Does the BSA descriminate based on gender, sexual preference and religious belief? Yes, they do. The courts have rightly upheld their ability to do so as a private organization under the freedom of association guaranteed in the constitution.

Can the government or any of it's entities have the legal right to descriminate based on gender, sexual preference, race, age or religion? No, they can't. It's the law.

Therefore, should military installations be chartering scout units who are a religious organization that descriminates against certain elements in society? Probably not.

Like you, I'm a Scouter and a Christian and I don't have a problem with it. But under the letter of the law as our Founding Fathers wrote it, it is hard to defend.

If the military can't charter units, it won't affect scouting in the long run. There are enough citizen based organizations in the military who will charter the units instead.

Ed

If the President Elect chooses to swear his oath on bible - he does so because he chooses to. Unless there is a law that I'm not aware of the oath or affirmation that he states is governed by the constitution.

Article 2 Section 1 states the following:

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." It says nothing about a bible. Freedom of expression.

SR540Beaver,

Good post but the ACLU still has it out for the BSA. And unless they go after go after all I mentioned in my previous post they are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites who want to destroy the BSA.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Well this is all that I could find.

The only U.S. president ever to "affirm" (and not "swear to") the oath of office was Franklin Pierce, 14th U.S. president, at his 1853 inauguration. Emotionally devastated after having witnessed the death of his young son in a train wreck, Pierce believed that his son's death was punishment for his sins. This may explain why he refrained from swearing on the Bible as he took the oath and chose simply to raise his right hand and affirm his commitment.

Theodore Roosevelt was the only president who did not take the oath on a Bible. Mr. Ansley Wilcox, at whose home Roosevelt was sworn in, wrote in 1903, "According to my best recollection no Bible was used, but President Roosevelt was sworn in with uplifted hand."

Beav, you are right, a scout is kind, but you would hardly know it reading many of the entries in this thread, however, since you asked, I must tell.

Richard Millhouse Nixon was a member of the The Religious Society of Friends (AKA Quaker)so he never swore the oath of office, he did affirm it.