Why does the methodist church have a different Scout sunday?

My son and I are Lutheran - so do we attend our church on Feb 2 in uniform and then go to the Methodist church on Feb 9, too?

We ARE participating in the Methodist church Scout Sunday this year, because they are our CO and are giving and dedicating new troop and American flags to the troop on FEb 9 and all the boys are participating in the service.

But i'm still curious as to why two different dates....

It was a test?

I took the dates off of my councils' website.

This is what is on the BSA site.

February

2 Scout Sunday

4 Vivekanda Jayanti, Hindu

8 Scout Sabbath

Nirvana Day, Buddhist

Maybe it is a council descion on what day is Scout Sunday or Sabbath.

My guess is council website has a mistake.

What is a Scout is Reverent patch?

something from your council.

I have 8 scouts for greeters and ushers on the 2nd at the church where we meet, but is not the CO. Would be intrested in knowing more about this patch.

Scouting's birthday is February 8th each year. Scout week always runs on the calendar week Sunday to Saturday of the week containing the 8th. Most religions celebrate either Sunday or Saturday as their Holy Day of the week. In some religions the traditional week runs Friday evening to Saturday evening in which case Saturday is called the Sabbath. So scout week always has two scout worship days the Sunday at the beginning and the Saturday at the end.

BW

Scout Sunday/Sabbath is national but the issuing of a patch is not. Our council for years has held a contest in the fall for the boys to design the "A Scout is Reverent" patch each year. The Scouts and Scouters can earn/purchase the patch by attending a service of their faith in the month of February, preferably on Scout Sunday/Sabbath.

The National Catholic Committee on Scouting and several other (non-catholic) denomnations have strong working relationships with National, (BSA).

If time is short this year pickup off the shelf patches for the boys who attend your unit service or "show the colors" as acco40 noted. Next year get to work on the religious emblems program and try to have the boys recognized on Scout Sunday/Sabbath

The relationships div of BSA is one resource... www.bsa.scouting.org is one place to start. Or try BSA supply Div. 18003230732 ask for item

5-879b "DUTY TO GOD, Religious Emblems..." (or if they're really friendly they might assist w/ your particular religious denominations material.

Bob

Why have a Scout Sunday or Sabbath (Saturday)?? Not everyone goes to the church or temple on a Sunday.

Ed, Why is your charting origination having athere Scout Sunday of February 23rd??

A local Reformed Church in the Hudson Valley, NY is doing the same thing.

The United Methodist Clergy Planning calendar has BSA Sunday as Feb 9. I believe that it's because most UMC's have Communion on the first Sunday of the month. By doing it on the second Sunday, it allows more time for the Scout stuff. We do ours on the second Sunday, but I know of other UM Churches that use the first Sunday. It's up to the individual Church. Hope this helps.

Doug