Alcohol Policy - Scouts

I have learned of in incident where some of the older scouts consumed alcohol during an outing. It was late at night, after lights out for most scouts. The situation was not known at the time, but quite a while later. What is the official policy and how should this have been handled?

WHOA,

Why is this a youth protection issue and why do you have to involve the CE. There is no YP issue here. Firt you need to find out some facts here before you do anything. Define quite a while? How did you find out? Whats your position in the unit also?

Having seen this video more times than I care to count, I don't see that in it anywhere. It was older scouts consuming some alchol, not someone feeding it to them. Atleast thats the jist of what I get from message

I agree that the G2SS and Youth Protection both state that alcohol has no place in the Scouting program. However, nowhere does it say that the Council Scout Executive should be informed immediately (or at all) when scouts do not live up to the rules of behaviour.

Youth Protection on-line training states:

"Physical violence, hazing, bullying, theft, verbal insults, and drugs and alcohol have no place in the Scouting program and may result in the revocation of a Scout membership in the unit."

"UNITS SHOULD CONSULT WITH THE PARENTS OF MEMBERS WHO FAIL TO MEET BEHAVIOR STANDARDS."

And under Unit Responsibilties it states:

"Adult leaders of Scouting units are responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and interceding when necessary."

"PARENTS OF YOUTH MEMBERS WHO MISBEHAVE SHOULD BE INFORMED AND ASKED FOR ASSISTANCE IN DEALING WITH IT."

"The unit committee should review repetitive or serious incidents or misbehavior IN CONSULTATION WITH THE PARENTS OF THE CHILD to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the youth's membership in the unit."

"IF PROBLEM BEHAVIOUR PERSISTS, units may revoke a Scout's membership in that unit."

The caps were mine for emphisis.

This clearly says to me that if a boy is caught drinking at a scout function the first thing that is done is to contact his parents. Then the committee and the parents sit down and work something out. If the drinking is an ongoing problem (not a one time thing) then the committee, along with the parents, may decide to revoke a scouts membership in the unit.

Per Youth Protection, the only time the Scout Executive is informed about youth behaviour is:

"The unit should inform the Scout executive about all incidents that result in a physical injury or involve allegations of sexual misconduct by a youth member with another youth member."

Drinking does not fall into that category.

The above is the official BSA policy on alcohol and the way a drinking incident should be handled. However Suz states that they did not know what was going on at the time and the incident happened some time ago. If the boys were not caught in the act at the time of the incident then all you have to go on are hearsay and rumors. There does not appear, from the little we were told, to be any overtones of hazing, injury, or abuse. We don't even know if the boys involved are still in the Scouting program. If Suz is SM or CC I would reccomend talking to the boys involved quietly to see if you can find out what really happened. Then a good thing might be to hold an alcohol awareness unit meeting. Consider getting the brochure "Drugs: A Deadly Game" and going over it with the boys. Remind the boys, and the adults, of the BSA policy on drugs, smoking and alcohol.

Suz, it's not too late to explore this with the boys or their parents. What, if anything, HAS been done? I once invited a sheriff's deputy to explain the legalities of underage drinking. He carried a lot more weight than I do (literally, as well as figuratively.)

I agree with most of the posters here, in this instance the situation can be handled on the troop level, since it did not occur on scout property or was the alcohol given to them by adults, so the scout exec. does not have to get involved, unless you feel that would be of some benefit. Just make sure that there are serious consequences for their actions or the behavior may be repeated. Getting someone to talk to the whole group, like packsaddle suggested, is also a good idea. The G2SS are guidelines for leaders and not the Holy Grail, using common sense plays a big part too.

I appreciate all of your feedback.

The incident happend in late January and was not on scout property. It was not found out until late April. The SM was informed, and he discussed this with one of his program staff (the former SM) as well as the committee chair. We did not proceed with discussions with the parents, however two involved families were aware of the circumstances and felt it was handled appropriately and discretely.

The incident was confirmed, the boys were spoken to and carded - our troop's discipline policy.

My concern was regarding if the handling was firm enough. I don't think these individuals will repeat the situation. But in reality a similar problem may occur someday.

I wanted to make sure that we pursued the situation according to any BSA guidelines that might pertain to this.

I'm sure that these types of activities have happened with other troops and was looking for some guidelines.

I appreciate the information about bringing in some presentations to the program.

Thank you to all for the help.