I might bring them together in relaxed atmosphere and just talk. Eventually one of them could bring the subject up and let it go from there.

I might ask the counselor to call and to see if your son has questions. See where you son goes with that.

I admire you asking because the MB program was designed with this in mind. Small steps toward man size confidence.

I love this Scouting stuff.

Barry

All of the above points are good. He should have a buddy when doing a Merit Badge, ESPECIALLY if it with someone he doesn't know. He should have contacted the councelor before he started. And, a very important part of the MB program is a boy learning to interact with adults. This is even more valuable when it is a stranger. However, at 12 years old, there is reason for a boy to feel aprehensive in this situation. If he was 16, I'd say suck it up and make the call. But a t 12, someone like the Scoutmaster or Advancement chair could help make the initial contact for him. I'd steer away from the parents doing it. There's more harm than good in that. But if a known adult can grease the skids a little with an unknown adult, eventually he will get the confidence to take care of this himself.

Don't do it for him, but keep encouraging him to take care of this without procrastination. He'll be a better Scout, and eventually a better man, for it.

And this brings up another point. We as adults, and MB councelors in particular for this discussion, should be attentive to these kinds of problems. We can often be the cause of an otherwise great Scout becoming disinterested if we don't meet kids half way. They are learning. They aren't always sure of themselves. We know the ropes, and we can help. Eagledad suggests that maybe the councelor could call the boy. This small gesture, even though it isn't one of the requirements to be a councelor, just might pave the way for a boy to succeed. A phone call is a pretty small price to pay for that.

Good luck! Keep at it!

Mark

The counselor did this merit badge at a few troop meetings. My son missed part of the discussion one night, but he finished the requirements at a later time.He did a work sheet that I had gotten off the merit badge website.It was turned into the counselor, but she would not accept just that. He worked for 3 hours to finish this. I would think that it would be proof that he had done what he was supposed to do.

I always encourage parents to sit in on merit badge sessions, but I do tell them not to coach their son or to answer any questions. The can make coments after the session is over. Part of the process of earning a MB is releating to new adults. Now he can prepair and know the subjet but he must be able to explain the requirements to the counselor and he must do everything that is required.

I always encourage parents to sit in on merit badge sessions, but I do tell them not to coach their son or to answer any questions. The can make coments after the session is over. Part of the process of earning a MB is releating to new adults. Now he can prepair and know the subjet but he must be able to explain the requirements to the counselor and he must do everything that is required.

troop_358, Merit Badge counselors have the option of accepting the Merit Badge worksheets or not. They are fully in their right to not accept them.

MB counselors should follow all YP guidelines. However, it is not necessary (and I think somewhat silly) to think that the boys have to earn the MBs in pairs. If a boy has trouble cold calling an adult, don't become an enabler. You can have him practice with you, have him call grandpa and practice, etc. but DO NOT MAKE THE CALL FOR HIM! Four year olds can be taught proper phone manners.