Puppy shoots man in self-defense

Please dont misinterpret my comments about the killing of a farm animal with a bullet. I am not supporting in any way what the man did. What he did was a poor solution to a problem that should not have been allowed to happen. If the man should be arrested and charged with a felony, it should be because he allowed his pet to produce unwanted offspring. That is the underlying moral crime.

Death of unwanted animals is by far the most common result of irresponsible animal reproduction. We revile at the thought of Joe Citizen disposing of his own animal. Yet we establish government shelters whose primary function is to dispose of unwanted animals. Its clear that the killing is not what society objects to, but rather who it is that does the killing is what is objectionable. That kind of thinking makes no sense at all. The puppies are just as dead either way.

The unwanted pet problem wont get solved as long as society focuses its outrage on who performs the execution rather than on preventing the problem in the first place. How about a little bit of outrage against irresponsible reproduction?

fscouter,

No, we establish government shelters to control stray animals that are running loose. They are available for adoption or for the owner to retrieve. When they are not adopted or picked up within a certain time frame, then they must be destroyed. But the primary function of the "pound" is not to destroy the animals. It is to control strays with the hope of finding them a responsible home. Destroying them is the last resort. Otherwise they'd gas them as soon as they got them to the facility.

The Humane Society estimates that of the 8 million animals processed through shelters nationwide, 75% are not adopted. Shelters may be designed and set up to protect animals and find homes, but the defacto primary function is to kill them. The fact that there is a waiting period doesn't alter the final result. Its regrettable that our society cares so little about the pets we bring into this world.

Arresting this man for shooting a puppy does nothing to help the problem.

The state has the legal right to execute convicted criminals or to put animals down. The average citizen doesn't. And no, I don't equate animals with humans. If the man can be charged with a crime for shooting the puppies, then it is against the law for him to do it regardless of his intention. The civil authorities can do it, he can't.

On a side note, it is amazing the laws that are on the books. When I took the IOLS class, we had a veteran scouter who is a naturalist come and do a presentation. He informed us that it is against the law in the state of Oklahoma to pick up any dead wildlife or roadkill without a liscense to do so. He has a liscense and that is how he obtains many specimens for the museum he works for. However, he warned us against doing it ourselves without getting the proper liscense. Go figure. There goes my hopes for a coon skin cap.

• 3 weeks later...