BSA aid to others??

In times of crises, whether it's natural like the hurricanes, or human, like the school hostage situation in Russia does the BSA ever involve itself by sending aid or support of some type??

I know local Scouts and Scouters often are among the first to offer assistance when others need help. Someone posted a great example last week with a news article about the many scouts drove across FLA to help.

Does National participate? What about events in other countries?

I certainly don't know if any of the hurt or killed Russian children were Scouts {there are several Scouting orgs. over there, but the ARNSO is the group officially recognized by the World Scout Organization (though I know this name's not quite right for the World Org.)}, but I wonder if organizationally there's something that can and should be done at times like these . . .

Is there stated or unstated policy or tradition?

jd

John:

I don't know if there is a policy or not, but I do know a few things having been around for a while and having met and gotten to know several people in Scouting.

I can tell you that when the Iron Curtain finally came down, the BSA was involved in creating the Russian Boy Scouts -- which had been banned for years and years. Volunteers and professionals at the National level worked with them to develop a handbook for boys.

I can also tell you that the money from chapel services and summer camps, Wood Badge Courses, etc. goes to the International Fund to support Scouting programs in other countries. The profits from the sale of the World Scouting patch (the purple one on the left above the pocket) also go to that fund.

Whether the funding goes to specific projects or programs is beyond my purview.

Unc.

While I can't back this up, with anything that I have ever seen or ever read.

I feel sure that everyone is saddened by the events in Russia, Sudan and the disasters that happen here at home. However we as an organization are not in the disaster business. Many of our Chartered Organizations are far better equipped and have had more dealings with disasters then we have. These chartering organizations have at times mobilized the Scouts in their units to help out.

Just as many units supported and continue to support our troops overseas with care packages and letters and our Scouts helped where needed after September 11th.

Yes we have a stated policy of helping other people at all times and doing a good turn everyday.Working with our chartering organizations we do what we can, mostly at home and mostly by way of our prayers.

Eamonn

Two observations

Past - my hometown was hit by a hurricane in the early 60s. I was a Cub Scout at the time and was in awe of the Boy Scouts shown on the evening news helping to stop leaks in a dike. The Boy Scouts had been mobilized to help (along with every other able-bodied person).

Present - there were some serious floods in our state last year and the cleanup effort was huge. I made dozens of phone calls, spoke to relief coordinators, shelters, etc. Nobody was willing to let the Scouts in to help if they were under 18. They were too afraid of liability. It's a shame - volunteer help turned away - all we get to do is write the check. I know - there are other things that could be done to help (clothing drives, toy drives, etc.), but the guys were really excited about having the chance to do some real work. Because this area was a few hours away and it was doubtful we'd be able to do anything once we got there, we didn't go. If/when our help could ever be used closer to home, I think we'll just go and start pitching in.(This message has been edited by Mike F)