"The Passion of the Christ on DVD" and Video

I would recommond the age/grade of the kids first boy scout award. It is very graphic. If i had a kid who was 8 I wouldn't let them watch the passion but a toned donw version they show on CBS would be good.

In today's paper (Detroit Free Press) there was a "review" of the movie. It mentioned a "bunny talk" kid friendly less violent version.

See below:

'Passion of the Christ' arrives

Per instructions of Mel Gibson's Icon Productions, Fox did not supply reviewers with advance copies of "The Passion of the Christ" ($29.98), but we are assured this is the same version seen in theaters, available either letter-boxed or in full screen, with no extras. However, Anchor Bay sent along "The Animated Passion" (THREE STARS out of four stars, $14.98), a kid-friendly telling (i.e. fairly bloodless) of the New Testament story of the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth.

And, (I know I'll get pummelled for this)

Another kind of 'Passion'

Meanwhile, Paramount has been so kind as to collect three "South Park" episodes under the title "The Passion of the Jew" (THREE STARS out of four stars, $19.99) after last season's show in which Cartman sees Gibson's movie and has even more ammunition with which to torture a Jewish friend. A crazed cartoon Gibson makes a guest appearance and has his wallet stolen.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

I would not allow an 8 year old son to see it. In fact, I didn't allow my 12 year old son to see it. While very mature for his age, he also has a strong sense of morals and guilt. I felt that it was too strong of an emotional issue to put on him.

I also know that some parents at my church took kids in the 10-12 year range and felt it was too much for them.

I do think it will be a little *easier* to see on a TV vs. the large screen of a theater. Plus the fact that you can pause or stop it to give yourself a break.

I would advise the same that we do on any questionable movie. Screen it for yourself, and then decide if the kids can see it.

I never went to see it when it was first released. I am not into blood and gore movies. I even close my eyes for the last part of Brave Heart.

I did enjoy the Patriot. I was very surprised when I looked in on OJ and his pals they were slowing it down in order to see the part where the guy gets his head blown off. I must have missed that part as I don't remember closing my eyes. Needless to say I got teased about the Brits getting a whopping.

I have to admit that I have always thought about movies as entertainment. While some have a message they were made to make money. I don't think that the Passion was released during the first week of Lent by accident. It was part of a marketing strategy.

Eamonn.

I would suggest getting the TV miniseries "Jesus of Nazareth" directed by Franco Zefferelli--I think it's available on DVD. It shows the whole life of Christ--not just the Passion--and it would be more appropriate for an 8-12 year old. It's also (realitively) free of Hollywood hokiness found in versions like "The Greatest Story Ever Told" or "King of Kings." I haven't seen Gibson's movie, but the reports I've heard uniformly say that it's not for preteens.

I'm not going to get it on video. I think it was best experienced on the big screen. I know that I would be too tempted to hit the Pause or Fast Forward button. Christ didn't get to do that, and I think that Gibson's intent for the movie was to have viewers experience and understand that what Christ did for us was not a merry little cake walk. Otherwise, what was the point of the movie?

I saw this twice in the theater. Once with my wife & once with my daughter. Both times I was very moved.

I wouldn't let an 8 year old watch this movie. The violence is too graphic.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10