Question to run by you all ... thought the topic was safer here :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Placing myself at risk here, but you're all having too much fun. Back to the role model concept. I stated this publicly once while serving as cubmaster, "a father attempts to be a good role model for his son so that his son will also be a good father. But a daughter sees the father differently. There the father is a role model that may affect her choice of a husband, and hopefully a good choice also for a father. These, to me, are the most important role models a father can be."

I then had a whole bunch of single moms bringing their boys to the pack.

Today that pack is far more successful than any in the past years. It is run mostly by women. Fathers help out. I think to try to state differences other than biological ones is to tread on quicksand.

I may placate my wife by nodding to her assertion that women are more organized. But she's comparing me to her female peers and for that comparison she's right. However, I doubt the comparison holds up outside that limited scope of one male and several highly efficient females. But I sure do enjoy the social events. :)

OK, a thought I haven't seen expressed in the six pages of this thread - don't boys benefit from seeing men and women working together in leadership? No matter who is "the leader" - doesn't our training tell us it's a team? Our troop has three women who go on a lot of outings (myself and two others). We seem to be hybrid leaders - involved in all aspects of the troop with no real distinction made between committee member and ASM. There are also four men who go on a lot of outings - again committee members and ASMs. Whichever combination of us goes, the boys have the opportunity to see us working together and can approach whichever of us they feel most comfortable with - to me that's the important part. I would not feel comfortable with my son being involved in a troop with only female leadership, but as long as men and women are involved, I have no issues.

Vicki

My son will be crossing over to the troop in February. We have been involved in the leadership of the pack as den leaders for my sons group, assistant cubmaster, secretary) for his group since they were Tigers. I wanted to ask what the rule was as far as Troop campouts.

Are women allowe