Question to run by you all ... thought the topic was safer here :)

Most of the "visible" leadership in the pack is women. Me as CM, 3 women and 1 man as den leaders. The committee is pretty much unknown to the pack, but it is mostly men. What this means is that looking at this pack, it seems to be led by all women. Now, I know that BSA policy is in favor of women in all leadership roles, and I believe women are very capable leaders. I also know that we can't change what we've got because the men didn't want to lead, so the women were asked and did. My question is this: how do you think the public views a unit with mostly women in leadership? Is this unique to us, or is it pretty common?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see your situation as that odd, I will be intersted to see the comments as well. One thing you may want to do, is that at any Pack function, at either the beginning or the end, be sure to emphasize that a pack is not a one man (or woman (sic) ) show. Introduce your leaders and also make a comment about how the committee functions to support the Pack and introduce the committee members in attendance. It may help if the parents see there is a male presence, (or not)

When I first read the question my first thought was, who cares what people think!!

The Leaders, male or female have been selected by the Chartering Organization to do a job.

Trying to judge how other people see us is something that I don't spend a lot of time on, when it comes to the leadership being male or female. I would guess that Joe Public accepts female leaders in Cub Scouting more then it does male leaders. When I was in Cub Scouting I used to get my leg pulled about not being man enough for "Real" Scouting.

We at this time do not have any female Scoutmasters in the district. We do have a fair amount of female ASM's.

Cubmasters is about 50/50. Den Leaders, females outnumber the males by about two to one. We have a female DE and have had a female District Commissioner.

Just as I would hope that we are color blind when it comes to leaders, I would hope that we are gender blind.

Joe Public also seems to have a hard time that some of us can be in Scouting and not be involved with a Troop and spending half of our lives in the woods.

Still the good thing is that almost all of the people that I meet and talk with think that we are doing a good job.

Go BSA!!

Eamonn

In our pack we have only two dens at this time (hoping to change that at round-up), both are run by men. As I look at the district it seems that there are more women leaders then men. I would welcome more women leaders because I believe they have an easier time with the little ones. Women are more arts and craft, and musically inclined. Just my opinion...

Eamonn, my husband has the response: who cares what others think, though he couched his comment in slightly less polite terms. I care because we have 9 Webelos and 1 Wolf, and we are recruiting heavily. All feedback received from the boys, the families, and those we have met has been positive--with those who *know* us. When I wear my uniform in public, I've received several snide comments about women in the BSA. Same with another leader in the unit. During a training time, a man kept making terrible comments about women as leaders, and I finally had to respond, and the other men (it was all men) backed me. The attitude toward women is not always good. When it comes to recruiting, I firmly believe that our image--particularly that first impression--is very important. Thus my question. I'd like to know how others handle this--or if it's not been a problem.

OGE, we began to do that last year--I would ask the committee members to stand and make sure people knew who they were. Thanks, I'll do that more often.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Laurie,

OK, speaking only for myself. I love having females in Scouting. They add an understanding that I know I sometimes don't see or understand.

My Son has been brought up to respect others, and that includes Girls.

The path works both ways. When Volley ball wasn't offered last year to the boys, he went and tried out for a place on the Girls Volley Ball team. He was the only boy that did. He had a great time.

I still like women to be women, even if they can do just about everything that I can do and I'm willing to admit that many do a better job then I can do.

Sure there are some bone heads around even in this great organization. But once you know that they are just bone heads you can take plenty of no notice.

Could it be that I lived in a country that was led by a female? I didn't like her politics, but she was a really great leader.

Eamonn

Although its changing, the expectation (from CS parents & the general public), is that a woman will be the den leader at least until the boys become Webelos. This is the impression I get all the time.

The public thinks that women do Cub Scouts and men do Boy Scouts. I have no problem with that perception. Historically, the stay home moms did CSs after school while the dads were still at work. The program thrived, and I am not aware of any misgivings because of it. However, I do think that todays kids need a different kind of CS program than the kids of 20 years ago. With women getting out of the house more today, and being more active than the women of 20 years ago, I think they still have the ability to run a great CS program consistent with the needs of todays kids.

You shouldnt be concerned with the perception of women leading the Pack. I happen to like strong women in the program, it keeps the testosterone at bay and forces some the out of control men to behavior in a more Scoutlike manner when you just know they want to pop someone.

I vote for whatever you husband said and however he said it!

On the other hand, I think there are a lot of people who see Scouting as a place where boy who may not otherwise have one are exposed to positive male role models.

Two days ago I had a single mom call me about joining our pack. One of her questions was whether or not our leaders were male because that's what she thought her son needed. True, a parent has the ability to select a unit for her son on any basis she likes -- all male leaders, all members of the same faith, all with green eyes. But although all our den leaders are in fact male, I told the mom that is not really how BSA operates. We are about teaching character development, citizenship, etc., and don't really make a distinction between male or female leaders.

I also noted that while all our den leaders are male, most of the successful dens are in practice run by husband/wife teams. While the men are the ones in uniform leading the den meetings, little would happen if it weren't for the moms making the phone calls, organizing the crafts, etc., etc.

I don't think it matters. I've seen successful packs that were female dominated. I've also seen successful packs that were male dominated. Our pack is male dominated. I've tried and tried to get females involved, but they just don't last. I'm not sure why. It's probably intimidating to be the only female at the table when we have a meeting. I also know some of the men are a little rough around the edges. Whatever it is, we need some estrogen every once in a while.

Well in our little pack, my husband is Cub master, I am Wolf den leader, our Tiger leader is female and her husband is the Bear leader. Our Webelos (all 1st year) are lead by a single mother. Our DE is female and then in the upper echelon is pretty much male. Our leaders meetings are quite an experience. ;)

Carol

It's all about Quality not gender.

If we build good program, they will come.

Some people will have pre-conceived ideas, but when you and your Cubs "wow 'em", nothing else matters. If you and your leadership get that, and work together to continue the quality program year after year, then Cubs, parents and others don't care if you're male, female or green!!

Well I don't see any problems here. In my area the majority of Cub leaders are women. I'm also a firm believe in "it's the quality of the leader, not the gender, color, or orientation. So don't worry about this and enjoy what sounds like a solid pack.

DGL

I think another factor here is what the interests of the leader are--is the leader interesting in doing activities that will appeal to the boys? Getting them outdoors, playing active games, etc? I suppose it's possible women are a little less likely to have such interests, but I've known male leaders who also were more interested in sitting inside and talking or making crafts.

Thanks for the discussion! You've given me some insight I didn't have before as well as plenty of reassurance. I do think that locally this may be a problem (I honestly cannot tell you the number of negative comments I've heard, even from Scouters), but I think our leaders are awesome, the program is strong, and so with your feedback I do feel more confident in this area now.