National alcohol policy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess one of the purposes of posting this questions, which is still left unanswered, What is the proper actions to be taken by a camp director, whether it be summer camp or a cub-parent outing, when there is alcohol present, what is the proper action to be taken right at that moment? Scout Executives are not necessarily readily available at that moment. Additionally, if there is not a designated plan of action, shouldn't there be one?

I'm already resolved that nothing is going to happen with my incident. Fortunately, no scouts were directly injured.

What is the proper actions to be taken by a camp director, whether it be summer camp or a cub-parent outing, when there is alcohol present

That depends on the council and the specific plan they have created for that specific camp.

What is the proper action to be taken right at that moment?

You should follow the reporting instructions given to you in your Youth Protection training. Notify The SE as soon as possible for infractions of the YP program. If you believe a crime is being committed then you should notify the local authorities.

Scout Executives are not necessarily readily available at that moment.

That is true, and your local council should have a way to take a YP report at any time. Ask your council office for your specific local plan.

Additionally, if there is not a designated plan of action, shouldn't there be one?

see the previous response

I'm already resolved that nothing is going to happen with my incident.

You do not know that nothing is being done, you just do not know what is. There is a difference

It would probably be good idea to revisit the Youth Protection training in you council

BW

All these posts give good advice. If the adult was drunk or impaired and takes a scout or anyone and drives off in his car then thats a matter for local law enforcement to handle, and thats who should first be notified. The SE can deal with the scout policy and the individual after the fact. Thats how my council camp handled a similar situation a few years ago.

There's two aspects of this particular incident. One, was it handled properly at the time of the event? Two, has it properly been handled by the Council and its leadership?

Due to confidentiality, we'll probably never know the answer to the latter.

However, the first question is the one we should all be more focused on. What is our duty when we see a scout in danger? That's easy, our responsibility is the safety of the youth. Obviously, Dave felt that the Camp Director was going to handle it. In future situations, we should always make sure that the immediate danger to the youth is absolved. If the camp director is not willing to call the police, then we should.

Excellent point EagleinKY. I think we need to teach the Scouts how to handle situations like this too. I am deeply saddened and even angry that I learned of things that youth didn't know how to deal with. This left me, as one hearing it third-hand, unable to do much (though doing nothing was not an option), but it also provided a teachable moment. I have not yet seen the YP for youth; does it address some of what has been discussed here from a youth's point of view?

"A Time to Tell" (YP Video for Boy Scouts) is focused on sexual abuse. It teaches the "three Rs" (Recognize, Resist, Report). I have reminded the boys that these principles are appropriate for all situations, including unsafe activities. Whether they could "connect the dots" and associate it to this situation or not is a valid question.

If your troop does a drug & alcohol awareness program (which could be used to fulfill a 2nd class requirement), you could incorporate this into that.

This isn't rocket science! We must use common sense! This leader violated BSA rules & regs as well as local laws! This in no way should be tolerated! Regardless of what the Camp Director or SE do we as leaders need to ensure this never happens again! And if that means having the offender arrested, then so be it! We are responsible for other peoples kids! They put them in our trust and care! Let's do our jobs!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

First off, let me say that I don't condone letting scouts get in a vehicle with somone who has been drinking. Now, the other side of things. Our summer camp is out in the sticks. The nearest town MIGHT be a one horse town. It is tiny. I wouldn't have a clue how to contact the town's police department. I assume that the camp director does. The camp is private property. Will the local constable drive down to the camp because I (John Doe) called and said we had a probelm? The only way I would know of to stop the man is to physically restrain him and take his keys away. Now we have a possible fight on our hands while someone trots of to find the camp director so he can call the police who we hope we can find and can get there in under 30 minutes. It might not be as cut and dried as it looks.

I would agree that your resonsibility ends at physical restraint. That adult is not the only one from that uit there and the scouts are their primary responsibility. Although you are on private property at some point that vehicle must exit the camp and access public roads. There is nothing wrong with you arranginging for the police to meet him at that point or soon after.

I thank everyone who has inputted here. I definitely tells me how I should have responded (which was against my inner instincts not to create an incident).

That being said, no one has answered the question at hand: Is there an policy/guideline that camp directors are to follow as to how to handle the situation? If there is, what is it?

We all know that what happened is wrong and is against BSA policy.

To answer Dave's question directly, the answer is, I believe "No." I've been around camps for years and have seen the national standards once or twice. There is no set policy for handling alchohol caught in a Scouting enviornment that I have seen. Only a policy in the G2SS regarding use.

Happy to say I haven't had to deal with it, having never seen, heard, nor smelled it.

Unc.

Excuse me Dave?, But I answered it twice. There is no National policy if a local one exists in your council we would have no way of knowing about it...YOU would have to find out.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)