Oregon camp director admits to ignoring 'no atheists' rule

Wojauwe says:

First the reporter has pieced together what he thought would make a good story.Now those pieces are being dissected by you guys.

Welcome to the forums. :)

I know that the staff plays pranks on the staff of the WEBELOS

resident camp right next to them and get them played on them.

One of my sons works at the WEBELOS camp and they made copies of their camp flag and ran them up every flag pole in the

other camp.

They refrain from anything hurtfull.

Pranks in and of themselves are fine, and as you say, the dividing line is whether something is "hurtful," and to me that does not just mean physical hurt. There is a big difference between the harmless prank of temporarily commandeering a flagpole, and making a boy feel like an idiot, and at the same time resentful at the lie he was told (explicitly or implicitly) by his leaders and "friends" to go off searching for a mirage. The flagpole thing sort of reminds me of that college football game, I am pretty sure it was a major bowl game with the usual top-ranked teams, where some Cal Tech students electronically tapped into the computerized scoreboard with their own computers, and changed the names of the team to Cal Tech and MIT. Nothing wrong with that (except for the little detail that it was probably illegal.)

NJ,

Yea I know I should exspect the over analysis and the search for something to be outraged about,in a forum on issues and politics.I still had to chime in since I know the camp and the people.I know that the hazeing whether physical or emotional is

not the accepted policy at the camp.I can see where you can dig those things out of the article.I have no idea what the context was that brought the words to the reporter and neither do any of you.

my concern is mostly that these are real people that these

supposed violations are being attributed to.Ther names and locations are given in the article whereas this is a group of anonymous participants in this forum and some of the attack stuff is being focused on not so anonymous people who are not there to defend themselves.

If you want to spin off into another thread that focuses on the concept of different forms of hazing and the harms,I'd be

good with it.I agree completely with the no hazing rules and abhor the thought that the scouting program would be a place where bullying physical or emotional is tolerated.

The staff pranks I mentioned are good natured rivalries between two groups of enthusiastic staffers.There on the nature of 2 sides of a campfire haveing a "We've got spirit how about you" yell off.