Lost Webelos--What is the responsibility of the Unit Commissioner?

Hi friendlyduck

Love to know where that name came from. You have hit a very soft spot for me. I have watched and studied the Webelos crossover problem for several years. The problem is Webelos are bored out of their minds and they think boy scouts will be the same. I learned the problem is a Cub Scout structure problem. Oh I know we have discussions about cub leaders and troops not doing their fair share and there is some truth to those statements, but my observations are the big problem is the complexity of the Cub Scout program wearing out the adults.

We get about three years from the average volunteer. Not just scouting, but church, sports and civic programs all have the same human factor problem of three years and we want a break. After that, other motivations like passion, stature and personal goals have to keep us going. I found that most of the scouts who dont crossover know it in the middle first year of Webelos because their program is not fun even then. They finish the second year because it is successful ending to a lot of time in the program. Some blame sports, band and other activities, but I only found that to be an excuse for boys who werent having fun.

See the average bear leader is a female and most of them started at Tigers. In their third year they are looking for a break or at least slowing down, but when they look at the Webelos book, they see a new aggressive program of camping in the hot and cold whether, sleeping in uncomfortable sleeping bags on the hard ground. The activity badges require lots of outdoor activities and transportation. The program is design more toward male type activities and that is uncomfortable territory. I found that most of these leaders told the pack to find someone else but as is common for those us who where pack leaders, no one else stands up. So the bear leader is stuck either disbanding the den and disappointing a lot of families, or continuing. These leaders try hard at first, but the 20 activity badges alone become overwhelming and after awhile the program goes down hill.

I have tried a few ideas to solve the problem, but I learned from districts with a 80% or higher crossover is you have to monitor each den and identify the weak dens as quickly as possible. Then you need to go in and help the leader. I believe the Commissioner Corp is perfect for this. IF they could check on the Webelos leader maybe once a month, I think they could quickly identify the leaders who have a boring program. Then the Commissioner could seek someone to help, I think a nearby Troop. The troop could get a few of the scout to teach a couple activity badges and take some burden off the leader. They could take these Webelos on a campout with the Webelos parents and maybe even give the Webelos leader a day off. The troop will fill in the fun. There are other things that will help too, I believe a little more Webelos training to help them learn how to use the parents on the Activity badges or maybe have two hour and half meetings a month. But if we could just first identify these weak dens, we would be 80% to solving the problem. The other 20% is easy. I believe the Commissioners are the angles we need for these Webelos.

Did that help much?

Barry

Th big problem I have is 2nd yera Webelos not being able to participate in camporees with Boy Scout Troops. This give them a taste for what they can look forward to. My son & other members of his Pack did this prior to crossing over & they loved it!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Your Unit Commissioner has the role of supporting the relationship between a pack and a troop in his or her area.

The Commissioner should deeply aware of the Senior Webelos and the needs of the Troop the Scouts will cross into.

The Commissioner often serves as that connection point between the troop and pack, insuring that the as many boys as possible make the transistion, become active an interested members of the troop and that any funds transfer between the two units happens smoothly.

A seasoned Commissioner will be talking to the Troop and Pack well in advance of the crossover time to insure that the troop has planned activities to help the Webelos to earn their Arrow of Light and that the Pack has plans in place to replace any key position that will be lost when the Webelos and their parents crossover.

This part of what Unit Commissioners are commissioned to do; serve units as a coach, a counselor and a friend.

YIS

Scott(This message has been edited by shemgren)

I think that part of what gets lost in all of this is that many people involved in Cubs have never been involved in Boy Scouts. Many here have been involved in both and know what both offer and see a smooth transition.....because they have been there. But many packs have parents running their program who were never involved in scouting. They have little idea of what the differences are between Cub and Boy and don't know how to approach it. I think the majority of encouraging retention falls on troops. They can relate because they have been there and should be able to guide a pack in how to help with the transition. After all, this is where their future scouts are coming from. Once the seed is planted, someone has to tend the garden and harvest the crop if they want to eat. I agree that the Commissioners need to be involved and so do the troops.

Think about it, jow many of us really knew what to expect when we left elementary school and headed off for junior high. In that case, we couldn't quit becasue of fear of the unknown. In scouts, we can.

Great replies all, but my point is the few weak den leaders are the big problem in the numbers. I learned the hard way while I was trying a fix to this problem, you can have the best District Webelos to Scouts program in the world, but if don't find those weak dens who do little to be seen, you don't fix this problem. I'm open for other ideas, but I believe the Commissioner is the best practical solution for this problem because it is basically already their job.

Other Districts developed huge Membership Committees to track Webelos, but I believe in simplicity and repeatability. The commissioner corp. is already out there.

Let me ask you a question that might help friendlyduck and I beleive shemgren. A new commissioner might need a check list to determine if a den is really struggling. IF you had to give him THREE questions to check that the den is weak or failing, what would they be? Now be careful, I have ask this before and many responses were more to what a perfect den would look like. My new commissioner is only looking for the failing den. I will start.

Average one den meeting a month.

No outside activities.

No camping or any future plans for it.

Barry