BSA and lessons Part 2

No more garbage compaction at Philmont!

This year you are not longer required to compact your garbage before being allowed to throw it away at a camp. In years past you had to bring your garbage up for a staff member to check it out before being allowed to put it in the garbage container. On just about every "porch" at a camp the staff had a baseball bat, they would take your garbage and throw it in the air, hit it with a bat, if it came apart, you had to re compact it and than they would give it the bat test again.

Can you believe that a parent actually sued the BSA over this!

No Dan I find that hard to believe. But if you say so I will take your word for it.

My little Sister is big on causes. One of them there veggie munching left wingers. I will have to ask her if there is a BKTTC (Be Kind To Trash Campaign.) Out there somewhere.

I am shocked to think that some bat swinging person is bashing the heck out of this poor harmless trash that until it became trash never done anyone any harm.

Yes Sir it is time for the Trash Lovers of the World to Unite.

Eamonn.

(Sorry Dan.)

Without knowing all of the hows and whys of this practice... it seems very peculiar at best... and probably would be looked upon very unfavorably by the parents of a boy that compacted... and re-compacted... and re-compacted... over, and over, and over, and over..........

I don't have enough info to make an argument one way or the other.

Yes Sir it is time for the Trash Lovers of the World to Unite.

Hmmm. A myriad of insults and jibes have entered my head. Being the "good" Christian that I am, I will resist the urge to share them...not close enough to November yet. ;-)

Hmm...

My experience at Philmont (last year) and my sons'experience (this year) was that compaction is standard procedure, inspection is not, and no baseball bat was observed anywhere. Maybe in the olden days that was true.

And neither of us observed any "singing for seconds" in the dining hall. Perhaps they realized that singing is better suited for campfires and trails.

what in the world are you talking about?

I was there in 2001 and never saw or heard of this thing with a baseball bat.

No one that I knew that went in 97, or 93, or ever for that matter has mentioned such a thing. Everyone talks about trash compacting, but no one ever mentioned a baseball bat.

The trash compaction is really just a practical matter. You won't have very much room in you pack unless you do, because when you unpack the food the trash seems to expand. Also, they can only handle a limited volume of trash at those far flung staff camps. Don't forget trash is a bear bag item. Also, the smaller it is, the less likely it will fall apart and end up getting tuna juice all over the inside of your pack, turning it into a bear bag item...

Singing was in use in 2001. If you wanted seconds you had to sing. It was usually something very short, well known, and mildly amusing. (Such as "I'me a little tea pot".) I seem to remember everyone that wanted seconds sang it as a group. Then if more people got up later, they had to sing at that time. Though I seem to remember waiting until the very end of the meal and getting seconds without singing.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)