What you describe sounds alot like the New Scout Patrol program. Keep the new scouts together with a mature Troop Guide and an Assistant Scoutmaster for New Scout Patrols. It's great to hear a troop use the program. I am curious, how many of your new scouts reach First Class around the end of their first year?

Bob White

Eagledad,

I read your post with interest. My son is a Webelos 1 right now. At our Pine Car Derby this weekend (2nd place, thank you very much) I struck up a conversation with our Webelos 2 leader and asked him when our pack typically does the crossover to Boy Scouts. I was hoping he'd tell me February or March. He said it is in May when the rest of the dens promote to the next rank. The reasoning for it is that the pack does a family campout in May as part of the rank promotion. My concern goes along with what you said about new scout retention. Throwing a new scout into summer camp without first acclimating to the troop would be disorienting at best in my opinion. I think that the packs that crossover their Webelos 2's early are doing their best to help troops retain new scouts. Any thoughts?

BTW, we are in the Last Frontier Council too, Sonner District.

Also, make sure that all that fun stuff the Webelos see on their visit is what they get to experience. We saw some great stuff at a Webelos only campout put on by the troops and at troop visit. Then once in the troop we found out the focus was merit badges.

Eagledad, great post! Wish I'd had it when my older son and I were looking at troops a year ago.

kwc57, just because "that's what we always do" doesn't mean that's what your den has to do. As long as there are troops willing to take webelos in Feb/Mar, I say go for it! Your absolutely correct that a few months in the troop before summer camp really help ease the transition.

kwc57, youre dealing with tradition. Traditions are good because they add spirit to the program, but can be bad when it rides over common sense. Problem is most Cub leader dont see the big picture. Packs build their programs without insight to problems down the road. I cant complain, Cubbing is very hard work, I appreciate any program that goes the extra effort and wish more could. Still, you have the future success of your boys to think about.

The way I see it, you have two concerns, loyalty to the pack, and registration dates. Its good you are thinking about this now so you have time educate your committee and work out some solutions. We get a few Webelos from packs that crossover late and our troop encourages them to start having their meetings with us. We give them a Troop Guide and treat them as a patrol. The only problem can be if the pack insists on waiting to get the AOL awards. You cant get the AOL if youre a boy scout. That is important. The sooner you sign up as a boy scout, the sooner the Troop Guides can start to sign off advancement. Our pack tried to have all AOLs and ceremonies done by January if possible to prevent a conflict. Even if the pack wont give the AOL, that is not a big problem. The main thing is to get your guys use to the troop program.

After you point out the problem to the pack committee, suggest the campout moved to April or even late March. Our Pack did this and it worked fine. The weather is pretty good by then.

Be very careful about filling out Scout Applications and don't give them to the Troop until you are ready to be officially be in the troop. You dont have to give them to the SM to sign off the AOL requirement. I have seen more problems by Troops turning applications before the packs apply for the AOL. It's a silly requirement that I've seen causes more confusion then good.

I also try to warn the Den Leaders that they are the ones responsible for where and how their Scouts crossover. Packs and troops aren't always that organized and they can and will get it wrong, especially if they are following tradition. I would suggest your den start visiting Troops now. Ask for the four best in your area. Get the visits out of they way so those requirements arn't holding up the scouts.

Really you don't owe the pack anything except loyalty, so I would approach it that way. But like I said, Cubbing is hard work. Work with the committee so that everyone comes away feeling good about the solution. Look for a solution that is seen as better for the pack and more fun. Teach them so they are prepared for the following dens. I think you will find most troops with work with you, so it's getting the pack to understand. Truthfully I'm not to worried about your Scouts because you understand the situation of new scouts and what to do. That helps a lot.

I am not sure I answered your question.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

around here all crossovers happen in feb/mar. most webelos patrols just need blue and gold and they're gone. earliness is no issue.

as for keeping a scout, the troop guide is very important on the boy level, but also a young adult leader or first year program dad (usually a parent of a second or third year scout from my experience) to provide a level of adult support.

the first year specific program leader can help transition the scouts from the cub program to the scout program with the assistance of the troop guide. in my opinion both are needed. the leader can slowly let down and have the troop guide be their influence. this also leads to older scouts that are willing to help and the younder scouts are willing to goto the older ones. I've also found that after their first year most scouts have figured out what to do and are willing to use the leader more as a resource than as a guide.

as for keeping the scouts, the program is the most important. make the first year patrol have just as much say as the spl. include them in all planning meetings and treat them exactly as the older ones. there are time that the older ones may do their thing only, but for 10 months of the year the program should be age-general. making the first year feel as big as the spl is what keeps them in.

and the most important is during the board of review. the bor isn't only a time for reviewing what they learned but getting opinions too. learning what a first year likes can be best done without his peers around. discovering one thing he'd do differently were he in charge also gives you a little insight into the boys and helps with training them to be good leaders. the bor for tend-1st isn't just skills but seeing if they're becoming good scouts.