How disappointing!

Wednesday night I had the privilege of presenting for the District at an Eagle Court of Honor. Actually, Im still a little humbled by the invitation. Anyway, it was a really nice ceremony with all the trimmings including a live bugler.

Afterwards I hung around for a while talking to different people. At one point, I entered into a conversation with the new Eagles grandfather. Although the grandfather was not a scout, the boys father is the SM for his troop, and I expected the boys grandfather to be focused on his grandsons achievement. But with everything thats was going on that evening, this man wanted to talk about the issue(s).

I gently moved the conversation in another direction and ultimatly I was saved by the IH, a Pastor no less. I cant help but think about how out of place that discussion was, and about the extent to which the issues(s) have shaped the national dialog about Scouting. How disappointing!

foto.

(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

It's not like that is anything new. As a Scout in the 60s some people chose to link scouting to other uniformed topics of the day, specifically the military, and the police. Others want to talk about scouting and our use of Indian heritage and traditions. Others about how they were scouts for a short time but had a bad leader, didn't do anything, hated camping, etc..

People talk, and when they do some talk about positive things, some negative. its my observation that human nature shapes the conversations around scouting more than do current events.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Is it really that surprising? To the grandfather, you were a representative of BSA. Perhaps not an official spokesman but someone higher up than his son, the SM. I would guess that he wanted to get your spin on things or, alternatively, he didn't care about your spin but just wanted to tell you what he thought in the hopes that it would get higher up the chain of command.

Interestingly enough, I find that many of the people that I know locally in Scouting seem to be unaware of the issues even though our council was in the news awhile back. They either don't care or don't pay much attention to news. Those that are aware of the issues like to put them aside (especially those fielding calls about them) to just enjoy some program or non-political chats.

As for the grandfather, I can understand the disappointment. I'd have thought he'd welcome an opportunity to brag about his grandson--what a perfect opportunity to do so :)

I hope I'm note posting this a second time but...

Some thought / questions...

Have you thought about talking w/the SM re his father's concerns? The grandfather might be reflecting concerns w/ the Chartering Organization, this could call for some gentle PR work. He might also be a quiet supporter of Scouting who wants to make sure he understands the "issues" that he might now be asked about because of his grandson's accomplishment. I just think that we need to be open to questions as opportunities to increase support.

FotoScout, I read your post as indicating that he was shooting the breeze, and not necessarily denigrating or challenging the BSA stand. I do feel that if he really has questions he should be offered the BSA side in a positive setting. (Like sending him to the Principal's oops I mean, Council Exec's Office.)

Beautiful weather here today & I'm going Cubbing w/ my son! Bob

Bob wrote:

I do feel that if he really has questions he should be offered the BSA side in a positive setting. (Like sending him to the Principal's oops I mean, Council Exec's Office.)

Hi Folks,

I wont say which side of the issue he was on because it really has no bearing on why I started this thread. The man is entitled to his beliefs; I just think he could have found a more suitable venue to discuss them.

As for talking to his son the SM, I wont do that either. Its not my place to meddle in, or instigate a family dialog, and, the discussion had no bearing on unit issues that I should be aware of.

FOG, I suspect that youre probably on the right track with his intentions.

FotoScout, I can agree w/ not stirring a family pot but will pass along his concerns?

We recently had a 60 yr. old troop endure 2 years on the bubble while thge Chartering Organization formed committees & debated one "issue". The majority of the congregation quietly supports Scouting, a few vociferously oppose Scouting & the pastor values the program & his job. (The bishop and local & hierarchy, is

"anti-discrimination".)

I encourage you to give the district or council a heads up. Perhaps the DE should make an early IH visit.

Bob

Bob

He was just talking, and there is no reason to think that anything detrimental to the Troop would come of it. Please remember that this man is not a Scouter, and is not connected to the CO. I'm quite sure that his son would be the first to know if something was stirring that would impact his Troop.

These things happen.

The last Eagle court I attended was for a friend back during spring break. I know him through OA, and so do many others, so there was a large group of OA people in attendance. The day before this COH the council exec had resigned under "interesting" circumstances and so that was the dominating topic of discussion. Fortunately, most in attendance were inclined to celebrate that news as well, so it just added to the celebratory atmosphere.

In any case, being asked to take part in an Eagle COH is a pretty big honor, and a bit humbling. I had the experience of being the master of ceremonies for another friends Eagle court only a few months after my own COH, so I know the feeling.