A President of the United States not endorsing the BSA

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clinton missed the 1993 Jambo, but made the 1997 Jambo. Bush didn't attend the 2001 Jambo due to rain, but sent a video presentation. The president is usually a busy guy. His attendance while traditioanl is never ensured.

I could definitely see the day when it would be a political liability to be affiliated with the BSA. Depending on where society goes, the BSA under its present policies could be viewed as a hate-mongering, isolationist, close-minded society of bigots.

Of course, I'd disagree, but I could see it. In fact, I think we are already seeing some of society's traditional religions being portrayed in that light, with the refusal of Catholics, Baptists, Orthodox Jews, Muslims to accept that homosexual activity or premarital sex constitute moral conduct.

My view, though, is that refusal to agree on the morality of a conduct cuts both ways.(This message has been edited by tortdog)

What is it about a President visiting a Jamboree?

It makes everyone feel like the Jambo is official and is being recognized for having great value.

It makes people feel even better about Scouting longer.

It makes people believe that Scouting is an important part of America and the world.

It makes people believe in Scouting as being part of the American fabric.

It casts a long shadow on one's overall experience. It will be remembered and cherished just because of one visit.

That kind of advertisement, no emotional remembrance is very inexpensive and pays long-lasting dividends.

I doubt anyone would pass that kind of opportunity up unless they have decided to take leave of their senses.

FB

"Bush didn't attend the 2001 Jambo due to rain"

[hahahahah, HoHo!]

Good one! We can tell he wasn't a scout!

Reminds me of the quote from Brian Birdsall, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor choices in clothing."

I"m not sure if he was ever a scout, but I'm thinking Bush couldn't have grown up without being at least a decent outdoorsman. The ranch life for a childhood and all... (that's just a best guess, don't shoot me down too quickly if I'm wrong :-D)

About the initial, year old question... I agree with the outlook of "it shouldn't matter". If society wants to get all "free love with whoever and without God", then there's little to nothing we can do about it on the large political scale besides stick to our guns. If the president thinks it'll help his position to ally with such ideas, (or actually believes that way to be the right one), I will pray for this country as frequently and fervently as I already do (and more), and I will still say all we can do is stick to our guns.

Do what we know to be right, and lead by example. That is all we can ask of ourselves, whether or not people of power publicly claim that we're doing the right or wrong thing. Why should it matter if we do what we know is the right thing to do?

Society is quickly falling into the very harmful world veiw of "no absolutes" and "relative truth/right", where the majority opinion of America determines what's "right". That's a bunch of BS (and I'm not talking boy scouts :-D) and if the BSA and a few other organizations (like the Chirstian Church) were the only ones left to say something is right just for the sake of it being right, or because some being MUCH wiser and more powerful than ourselves said so, then I would gladly stand firm with them.

The ONLY reason we should care if a president thinks we're doing good is because  (assuming we've held our course) if he publically declares we're not, then the trouble the BSA would run into would be the least of our worries, rather the trouble would be with America, poisioning the tree at the root so to speak.

-Curtis

"The Righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him,"...

"Differeing weights and differeing measures - the Lord detests them both."

-Prov. 20:7,10